"Giant gecko" just doesnt cut it for this guy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoJosh

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hey all,

I found this pic on the net, not sure if its real

giantgecko.jpg

there are some big tokay's out there, i've seen (and posted somewhere here) of one of the larger ones on video, however it should also be noted that the tokay in that vid was disgustingly obese

giant tokay's also made news headlines in SE Asia for awhile because of the reputed health properties of their organs (i think it was liver or heart?). Said newspaper was also national, so it should be, emphasis on should, be quite reliable to an extent. However i've yet to personally observe one in real life.

For the pic the op posted though, the hand supporting the bottom bit just doesn't seem quite right to me, but i could be mistaken

As far as I know the largest gecko is Rhacodactylus leachianus which only grows to a third of a meter, way smaller than that what that animal appears to be

Tokay geckos are the worlds 2nd largest gecko, some males have been recorded over 40cm in length

No way that is real. Tokay's get pretty big, around a foot or so but not that big. The world's largest geckos are the leachies. They can get about 14 inches or so but they are very heavy for a gecko. If that is a real tokay than wow is all I can say. That Tokay is bigger than some dogs lol.

No this was confirmed fake, it's been floating for a bit. It's a funny effect tho lol

There are a number of images like that floating around. The middle one below stated in one case that the gecko in the picture was worth $19 million. Another spot with the same photo stated it was not the biggest gecko found. The Leachie on the girl’s arm is a maximum size animal and the real deal.
Giant gecko gets hug.jpgGiant gecko worth millions.jpgRhachy l. - real deal.jpg

Maximum confirmed size recorded for New Caledonian Giant Gecko (Rhachydactylus leachianus) is 14.5 inches = 37 cm. Maximum confirmed size recorded for male Tokay Gecko (Gekko gecko) is 14 inches = 36 cm. Maximum confirmed size recorded for female Tokay Gecko (Gekko gecko) is 12 inches = 30 cm.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Bluey, you wrote 14.5 inches is 37cm as well as 14 inches?

The main thing that gives the pic away is if that was real the Tokay would have the guy by his jugular, not calmly sitting in his lap ;p

if that was real that man would struggle to hold it due to thier aggressive nature

chk chk chk....TO-KAY! TO-KAY! TO-KAY!
Bluetongue, that first pic is a giant salamander, they actually get that big.

SOCK PUPPET took the words out of my mouth. Thats what i thought the first pic was too. I seen a documentary once and they were enormous. Giant salamander is my thought for the first pic.

i was lucky enough to handle a Rhacodactylus last week. a gecko that is bluetongue size has the most amazing eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back