Girl missing, feared taken by croc in NT

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in the area and the little girl who was taken was a local indigenous girl, many of the children, and adults, are at the water fishing and playing at the beach. Being taken by a croc doesn't mean they have to be in the water.. It's so sad for her community though :(

Georgia, when I was in Cairns I met a local (family) on the beach and the water was very murky. Their three boys aged from just toddler up to maybe 4-5 yr old were playing on the beach at the waters edge, and so were their two dogs. He was fishing and we were invited to have a few beers with them so we stayed and chat for a couple of hrs while the sun went down. When we asked about the possibility of croc attack he simple said , "look there could be 6m one right there now, we wouldn't be able to see it... but what do you do, we have to live our life and have fun too, can't let them stop us doing that." Me and my missus thought that was a bit strange when you consider whats around there, we could see the Daintree River mouth from where we were.
Is this the mentality up that way too?
I don't mean any offence here.

A few years ago a friend of mine was taken by a croc on the cobourg peninsula. He was a diver and knew the risks having dived around the top end for many, many years.

I went diving with him a number of times around the top end. Mostly around nhulunbuy through the wessells group, English company group and wigram island. Absolutely awesome part of the world and some of the sunsets and sunrises have been the best I have ever seen. The fishing was unbelievable too, as were the herps on some of the islands.

We always saw plenty of crocs and whenever I asked him why he never seemed to be bothered by them his reply was , there were areas he wouldn't go, but on the whole if you saw the croc it wasn't a major issue. It's the ones you didn't see that were the worry.

Well in the end he failed to see one and that was it. He knew the risks, took what precautions he could, accepted what might happen but in the end it wasn't enough.
I took the same risks when I dived with him.

Totally different situation with this poor kid. Where she was taken there had been no records of crocs although it is the top end. You can say people shouldn't swim anywhere except south of Gladstone but over 100 years ago a large croc was found in the Logan river south of Brisbane. Should people not swim there? There are documented records of crocs in the river which is more than for where this poor girl was taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back