Girl with new baby Green Tree Snake :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MelsTheBells

Reaction score
Hey...
Ive just got a baby Green Tree Snake. He's beautiful. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on favourite foods for him? He's definitely too small for pinkies at the moment. Hes been eating crickets for now... but just wanting to get some other ideas from people with little Green Trees so I can give him a few different things.

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

A snake eating crickets? :shock:
Okay now I have heard everything...

Haha... Well my nephews breeds them for his lizards... and when we got the snake we just put some in on the off chance that he would eat them... now he loves them. Lol. Want a bit of variety though... so I need some ideas for other food for him?...

This is a G up

Cheers Brenton

A snake eating crickets? :shock:
Okay now I have heard everything...

There's a paper about copperheads eating grasshoppers.
See: Herpetofauna - Volume 26 number 2 -page 6
Further Evidence of Orthopteran Invertebrates as Regular Prey for the Low Lands Copperhead in Tasmania

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that mean Im joking? Lol. No Im serious. Why would I waste my time on here if I was playing around? Hes been eating crickets since last week when I got him. Ive only fed him twice, but he loves the things. I just wanna know what else I can offer him, hes too small for little pinkies, so Im out of ideas...

Try neon tetras, that's what I feed my my little golden. But now having read this might throw in a couple of crickets and see what happens

Love seeing the APS Snake know all's being out of their depth :)

Neon Tetras it is. Thanks :) My nephew also suggested house geckos. Might give them a try... I do have at least a hundred around my house...

Any small spinless fish would be one of the better foods for it. The one thing that you have to be sure of is that the feeder fish havnt been exposed to alot of aquarium medication. It is letal for younger animals to ingest to many of the toxins. The best way to avoid this is to leave them in your own aquarium for a week to try and rid alot of the toxins from the feeders. To feed them just place them in the water bowl and leave them.

Any small spinless fish would be one of the better foods for it. The one thing that you have to be sure of is that the feeder fish havnt been exposed to alot of aquarium medication. It is letal for younger animals to ingest to many of the toxins. The best way to avoid this is to leave them in your own aquarium for a week to try and rid alot of the toxins from the feeders. To feed them just place them in the water bowl and leave them.

why spineless?

What Rahni said, if the snake decieds it has to regurge the fish the spines will cause alot of internaly damage on the way back up. Probally some of the best feeder fish for snakes a neon tetras when small then evetually move up to guppies then platies and so on. Most livebearers are good to feed, with the added benifit of being easy to breed your own food stock.

Using the house geckos probally isn't a good idea either as they may contain internal parasites that could cause serious problems to your snake. One of their main food sources in the wild are frogs, one of the main reasons they are not used in captivity is that they all have lung worms that will infest the snake if your not careful.

Last edited:
Have i totally missed something on this post?

Have you asked the breeder what they were feeding?? Did it come from a breeder?
So what you are really saying MelsTheBells is that you 'aquired' an animal you know nothing about, and couldnt even use Google to do some research before posing questions here.

...some people really make me laugh!

So what you are really saying MelsTheBells is that you 'aquired' an animal you know nothing about, and couldnt even use Google to do some research before posing questions here.

...some people really make me laugh!

At least she is asking, rather than not realising what will be better for her snake in the long run and having the animal deteriorate to the point where it can't be brought back. Everyone was new once.

I agree the welfare of the animal is paramount but seriously, how many posts are there on here and other forums reguarding husbundry related questions. Many questions come from people who obviously have never kept, or had anything to do with reps. The quantity of knowelage also begs the question of origin of the animal. You would like to think a breeder would have given a quick run down on care and feeding wouldnt you.

I hate when people try to flame people for asking questions that people not involved with reptiles wouldnt know.. I was taught if you dont know ask and if you do know answer the question to help someone out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back