Giving injections to snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are no more difficult then sq injections and the method is generally the same, i think people just stress about the possibility of going to deep. to be honest due to the small sq space i think it would be more difficult to give a true sq injection then an IM.

[MENTION=7284]Helikaon[/MENTION] would the space depend on how hydrated/dehydrated the snake is? I found there was a fair amount of "wriggle room" under my jungle's skin as s/he had stopped eating and was quite dehydrated.

Last edited:
Dehydration deffinitely makes the skin loose, but it doesnt actually increase the space, This is another reason you really need advice from your Vet, enrofloxocin is not the nicest drug on their kidneys especially when dehydrated. Though your snake will not become dehydrated from not eating he needs to stop drinking. I would be offering fresh water every day as that can stimulate them to drink or you can bath them in warm water once again stimulating them to drink.

Just on that, my little guy hasn't eaten in 7 weeks and I think he is a bit dehydrated as well.

Thanks Helikaon, The vet has given me baytril, its for a small bit of scale rot I want to get on top of.
Maybe
enrofloxocin is another name for it I wouldn't know? I said it was baytril on the other page so I don't know if you didn't see it, or it is the same thing?
Because the rot is on his mouth I'm more worried then if it was somewhere else on him. Because he likes it sit in his water it's making it a lot harder to get on top of. I need him to drink but I want to keep his mouth as dry as possible.

The hygiene in the tub has been kept to the highest possible and all temperatures are and have been spot on from the start as well.

Last edited:
Baytril is the trade name, enrofloxacin is the drug name. I.e same thing.

Thanks Helikaon, The vet has given me baytril, its for a small bit of scale rot I want to get on top of.
Maybe
enrofloxocin is another name for it I wouldn't know? I said it was baytril on the other page so I don't know if you didn't see it, or it is the same thing?
Because the rot is on his mouth I'm more worried then if it was somewhere else on him. Because he likes it sit in his water it's making it a lot harder to get on top of. I need him to drink but I want to keep his mouth as dry as possible.

The hygiene in the tub has been kept to the highest possible and all temperatures are and have been spot on from the start as well.
If you google Baytril the fact sheet should explain the relationship with enrofloxocin . Snakes dont need water 24/7. I would only give water every say 24 hours and then remove when the snake has drunk. A consistently higher temperature of say 32C should assist healing

Just a quick up date, the snake is looking healthy again and ate for the first time in 8 weeks tonight.
Thanks again to everyone who posted and or sent me a pm about this.

I have always give baytril via IM alternating body sides and massaging the injection site for 5 to 10 second post injection. I restrain the snake with either a bag for a non venomous species leaving a loop out or by using a squeeze box or a tube for venomous sp. With the squeezed box it is not suitable for post injection massage.

As as others have said try getting in contact with Deb Monk at Brisbane Bird and Exotics. Might be time for a Herp vet

cheers
scott

Brian,

essentially they are a box with foam in the bottom with an acrylic lid. The lid has holes that allow for injections and spinning cover (to close holes not in use). The lid is pushed down onto the snake holding it into the foam stopping movement

Brian,

essentially they are a box with foam in the bottom with an acrylic lid. The lid has holes that allow for injections and spinning cover (to close holes not in use). The lid is pushed down onto the snake holding it into the foam stopping movement
Thanks for that, I would like to have one. Do people make them or can you buy one?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so I did a lot of looking on google and I can't find anything about a venomous snake squeeze box?
If anyone could help me find out something about them I would appreciate it a lot.

Cheers

I made mine. There is photo of it in my elapid book. I will see If I can locate the image file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back