Glass or melamine enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk1701

Reaction score
Doing lots of research before I start buying things for the Stimson that I am intending to get.

Is glass or melamine better for an enclosure?
I really like the look of the glass ones - but will go with whats best.

For a Stimson what sort of heating would you use in a melamine enclosure?

Melamine is more heat efficient, although you can achieve similar results with glass if you use 3D fake backgrounds. You can buy them or get adventurous and make your own.
Heating is best achieved with overhead heat, either a globe or ceramic heat emitter.
Although if you are getting a hatchling, an enclosure is down the track. A hatchie is best kept in a plastic tub, commonly called a click clack.

I use full glass urs enclosures for all my snakes,never had an issue with heat but I’m lucky enough to have my own reptile room in my house so that might play a big part. I like glass for its full viewing and easy to clean. That’s just my own choice and experience with glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melamine is more heat efficient, although you can achieve similar results with glass if you use 3D fake backgrounds. You can buy them or get adventurous and make your own.
Heating is best achieved with overhead heat, either a globe or ceramic heat emitter.
Although if you are getting a hatchling, an enclosure is down the track. A hatchie is best kept in a plastic tub, commonly called a click clack.
So not a heat mat?

If you want to have a heat mat in the enclosure, that's fine but you might find you don't get a good heat gradient.

Wattage is not usually extremely important, generally, you should find one that fits one third to one half of the bottom of your tub and control the temps using a good probe thermostat.

I have found the ZooMed 8w mat to work great for my Woma when it was a hatchling, I doubt that you would need anything over 10watts if you buy a young one.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm using a 25 watt heat cord under a tile which two 7 litre Sistema tubs are sitting side by side, half on - half off... Gives me a reading of 35° at the warm end and 23° at the cool end.
Both pythons are happy and feeding well.

I'm using a 25 watt heat cord under a tile which two 7 litre Sistema tubs are sitting side by side, half on - half off... Gives me a reading of 35° at the warm end and 23° at the cool end.
Both pythons are happy and feeding well.
7L seems very small - it’s probably my human sensibilities speaking though.

7L seems very small - it’s probably my human sensibilities speaking though.

It's an ideal size for young Antaresia.

VsGGAYn.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back