Glass v's Perspex,,,,sliding v's swinging.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Progress is good. Got the access holes in the centre done. Got the basking shelf & light fitting in. Got the locks in the big doors. Got the bits of timber on both sides of bottom & centre to keep substrate in & got that stained (what a messy freakin job that is). Got the high vent installed in the cool end.
Was going to do more tonight but the smell of the stain & lacquer is driving me nuts.
Fit all the lights & sliding doors etc; tomorrow & then go on the hunt for branches & stuff.

OK i've finally decided,,,,,,,,,i think,,,,,,,( it's a mongrel being an indecisive libran) to go sliding glass. Far easier for my limited experience with this type of thing & if i really want, can always change it down the track.

Whether you use glass or acrylic (perspex), you can use our finger grips to help you open your sliding panels easily. They make sure that smudges and finger prints are localised to the grip area, or if you are careful, you may never have the appearance of smudge/finger prints. This means far less cleaning of the sliding panels meaning you can enjoy your animal more.

You can see our full range at - Shop | Virides

We use Australia Post for all our freight and we can take credit/debit card, paypal and bank transfer payment options (Debit Cards & Credit Cards are serviced securely by PayPal).

I have just finished building a bunch of cages,

They use swinging 6mm Glass, The glass cost me $55 (Koala Glass!!)

I use a hinge called Sandwhich hinge, There is no requirement for holes at all.
http://www.*********.au/itm/cupboar...Building_Materials&hash=item19d8eca6a6&_uhb=1

- - - Updated - - -

I have just finished building a bunch of cages,

They use swinging 6mm Glass, The glass cost me $55 (Koala Glass!!)

I use a hinge called Sandwhich hinge, There is no requirement for holes at all.
http://www.*********.au/itm/cupboard-double-glass-door-magnetic-catch-set-latch-press-open-cabinet-hardware-/111013570214?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item19d8eca6a6&_uhb=1

We have lights & are at lock up.

Was going great guns until the damn wind came in & blew one of the big doors shut & cracked the glass in it. Off to the glaziers again tomorrow then time to start decorating.:D

- - - Updated - - -

Whether you use glass or acrylic (perspex), you can use our finger grips to help you open your sliding panels easily. They make sure that smudges and finger prints are localised to the grip area, or if you are careful, you may never have the appearance of smudge/finger prints. This means far less cleaning of the sliding panels meaning you can enjoy your animal more.

You can see our full range at - Shop | Virides

We use Australia Post for all our freight and we can take credit/debit card, paypal and bank transfer payment options (Debit Cards & Credit Cards are serviced securely by PayPal).

They look unreal. Just ordered a couple of the Spilota.

Hey mate looks great so far. I see that you went for a lockable latch for your slider, was there a reason for that? I had those and found them to be a bit of a pain to use and stopped and had nothing until recently when I saw the idea that [MENTION=21544]saximus[/MENTION] uses and now them on all of my enclosures as the are cheap (free) and easy to use.
7a6ebajy.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I found the thread.

[h=1]Enclosure Locks!!![/h]

Yep good call.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey mate , this thread may interest you. Maybe see what Saximus comes up with for his lockable slider. He is quite clever (Engineer) and has a couple of ideas to work with.

[h=1]Securing Sliding Glass Door Locks?[/h]

Great job mate, that looks awesome. I see you made a few changes from your original idea but I think it looks the part. Also Saximus has finished his idea for a lockable sliding glass set up if you look at the thread link above.

Last I heard your order was being packed and if it hasn't been sent already, I believe it is leaving tomorrow. You should receive it by early next week.

Then it will be finished :)

My only reservation is that locks with external screws (and even bolts) are prone removal with a screw driver. The drawn screw-in eyelet, or the pictured bolt eyelet, obviates this by not being able to be turned with a padlock through it.
Solid screw-in eyelet.JPGimagesCABG08D1.jpg
You would might want to use the bolt style with a backing washer if constructing out of particle board. Just depends how secure you want your locks. Obviously a thief with a gemmy bar or bolt cutters is not going to be stopped by it. However, if in a securely deadlocked room probably either would be more than adequate.

Blue

I wouldn't use sliding doors, I had a friend who had a Carpet Python in a sliding door enclosure and one day went to open the door to find that his snake was sitting up in the grooves of the sliding door.. and he had mauled it completely... If you're getting sliding doors anyway, make sure you know exactly where your snake it before opening the doors.... This stuff happens too frequently

- - - Updated - - -

IT'S FINISHED,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

And I think she likes it.:D

How much did this all cost you to make? I'm looking into making something similar some time soon, but have no idea how much I should save!!

I wouldn't use sliding doors, I had a friend who had a Carpet Python in a sliding door enclosure and one day went to open the door to find that his snake was sitting up in the grooves of the sliding door.. and he had mauled it completely... If you're getting sliding doors anyway, make sure you know exactly where your snake it before opening the doors.... This stuff happens too frequently

- - - Updated - - -

How much did this all cost you to make? I'm looking into making something similar some time soon, but have no idea how much I should save!!

If you have a look at the last pic you will see that the snake in that enclosure is over 2 metres long. In fact she is about 2.2 as we measured her just last night, so there is very little chance of her getting in the tracks.

As far as cost goes the cabinet was $50 from an Op Shop & after all the fit out was complete using only top quality fittings it owes me just under $600. The satisfaction value is far far more than that though.

If you have a look at the last pic you will see that the snake in that enclosure is over 2 metres long. In fact she is about 2.2 as we measured her just last night, so there is very little chance of her getting in the tracks.

As far as cost goes the cabinet was $50 from an Op Shop & after all the fit out was complete using only top quality fittings it owes me just under $600. The satisfaction value is far far more than that though.

Wow, a lot less than I was thinking :) If you made these, you could sell them for a pretty decent price, ya know!!

There are others that have tried it one guy i know of did the rounds of all the op shops & bought about 20 of them. Did them up without fitting them out & still has every one of them. Hasn't sold one. People who like this type of enclosure usually prefer to do it themselves but if you want one in the future i'm more than happy do build you one.

Made to order would be the way to go.. You don't happen to be in QLD/northern NSW do you :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back