Golden Crown snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msjwood

Reaction score
Hi, think i may have found one in the house. It's black on top, glossy black head, pale belly with two golden stripes starting just below and in front of the eyes extending to the nape. It's only about 20cm long. Doesn't like the light. What do they eat and when? are they easy to keep, or should I take it to a shop or let it go? Mike

here's a pic, crown colour can vary from dull orange to bright yellow, esp in juvies.

Attachments

• xx.jpg
    xx.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 157
Mate, let it go... It's illigal to keep wild reptiles!
As for what it is, I don't know...

Last edited by a moderator:
wastn being rude, just a stupid comment, should I take it to the shop. I dont care if he wants to keep it I just think it is stupid catching stuff just to sell

I'm with you, I don't give a crap if someone poaches a herp seriously I dont really but people catching them illegally just to make a buck anoys me.

Pardon my ignorance, but I had no intention of selling it. I had planned to take it to the local wildlife park or to let it go.

oh ok. local wildlife wont want it, they would be not very good animals to have on display as they are noctunal and hide all the time, they dont do much unless you piss them off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ryan, that solved the dilemma. will take him to the bush & let him go. Are they territorialand if so, would this be a problem?

just chuck him in the backyard. if he was at your house it means it isnt a to bad area for him to live, moving them is pointless for many reasons.

b.jpg

a.jpg

Last edited:
I cant be bothered reading through what is probably crap from people that were born with knowledge of laws and snake husbandry etc, but from your description i would say its a Marsh Snake, would hurt and cause a bit of swelling if it were to bite you.
They are very hard to keep, especially wild caught ones as they feed on frogs and lizards and are impossible to get feeding on rodents.
It is also illegal to take any reptile from the wild without sufficient permits.
Not so much the law that is my main concern, but the welfare of the snake, chances are it would die in captivity, if not, it wouldn't lead a very happy life being in a small container compared to out in the wild.

Fair enough. 1st snake I've ever caught (except for the Gwarda in WA that ended up in 4 pieces). Just want to do the right thing.

Never heard of a swamp snake with a pale belly. Last time I looked they were black.

lol I missed that part. have seen them with silver bellys before and grey bellys. but yes, havnt seen one with a pale belly, though golden crowneds do have and orange belly and also only have 1 large band that goes to the nape

Thanks Ryan. Looks just like a bigger version of our little one. The gold markings come to an abrupt end at the nape of the neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back