Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iguana

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a group of about 3 gecko's not really intending to breed them but if it happens it happens. They will be treated more like pets than breeders so the occasional handling will occur.
So what is the best type to get? I'd rather they be a large/meduim size and not too expensive, under $90 per gecko,
so far I only know of marbled geckos, knob-tails, marbled velvet and leaf tailed, but if anyone could suggest any other types that'd would be great,
thanks.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I find the attitude towards breeding "if it happens it happens" quite lazy and selfish. That thought would reflect that you have not taken the appropriate measures to ensure the eggs hatch, and have not considered what you would do with too many hatchlings.

Also, Australian geckos DO NOT like handling, full stop. We have had countless threads on the matter already, and all ended the same way. If you have the geckos interests at heart, don't handle. Some good breeders do, but they have more experience with them. It stresses the out considerably.

Having pointed this out, if you still want a gecko, I recommend a thick tailed gecko. They are relatively easy to look after and are usually quite cheap.

Please don't take my post to heart. I do not intend to give you a bad day, just pointing out what you can improve on. :D

Kind regards,
Herpo

You don't handle gex.

Under $90 you could probably get one or two marbled geckos (Christinus marmoratus).

- - - Updated - - -

They don't need heating either, and most geckos will be above $100 anyways. Get Danny Brown's book on keeping geckos, it will be sure to help.

[MENTION=41642]Herpo[/MENTION]
-I see where you are coming from with the attitude towards breeding, I probably should have mentioned that I do intend to look after the eggs and ensure they hatch, I do have the space to temporarily house baby geckos before I sell them. What I meant was that I don't mind either way if I end up with eggs, but if I do I will look after them.
- I was told they tolerate handling but apparently not, I will only if absolutely necessary
-thanks for the recommendation, I will do some more research on those and look into local breeders
Thank you for the info, I'm always looking for how to improve in Herp keeping :)

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=41799]BredliFreak[/MENTION]
-understandable, they are more display animals I suppose
-The marble gecko is looking like a good choice, the no heating is a plus too.
Thanks for the Info, I'll keep an eye out for the book.

@Herpo
-I see where you are coming from with the attitude towards breeding, I probably should have mentioned that I do intend to look after the eggs and ensure they hatch, I do have the space to temporarily house baby geckos before I sell them. What I meant was that I don't mind either way if I end up with eggs, but if I do I will look after them.
- I was told they tolerate handling but apparently not, I will only if absolutely necessary
-thanks for the recommendation, I will do some more research on those and look into local breeders
Thank you for the info, I'm always looking for how to improve in Herp keeping :)

- - - Updated - - -
@BredliFreak
-understandable, they are more display animals I suppose
-The marble gecko is looking like a good choice, the no heating is a plus too.
Thanks for the Info, I'll keep an eye out for the book.
Thanks for not getting offended. I was half expecting to come back to some anger posts, but no.

Good to hear you've planned it all out. Many people will tell you they like being handled in order to sell. Some individuals can tolerate it, but not many.

If you had a slightly higher budget, some of the diplo species and thick/knob tail species aren't too expensive

[MENTION=41642]Herpo[/MENTION]
All good dude, I always appreciate advice on this subject as I'm not that well experienced with lizards.
Thanks I do want to take the best care of them possible. And yes fair enough, it is their job to sell as much as possible, shame they have to lie though.
Thanks again for the help.
[MENTION=41799]BredliFreak[/MENTION]
I do have an interest in knob/thick tail species, but as this is my first time keeping geckos, something a little easier is probably better. Hopefully I'll get some at a later time.
Thanks for the recc

Well they are fairly straight forward to keep, both are generally beginner species. Bynoe's geckos are simple too and cheap, though again the marbled geckos are probably the cheapest.

As I said, you should probably get the book on keeping geckos by Danny Brown. It is a little pricey but worth it.

[MENTION=41799]BredliFreak[/MENTION],
If that's the case i'll definitely look into getting some, the no heating for the marbled was defiantly a plus, but the Bynoes look much nicer. I'll see what's available at VHS expo since that is coming up, and hopefully they will have the book.
Thanks,

Good idea. Try talking to some breeders about how they keep the gex u r interested in, because I don't own any (yet), just used the book and read knowledge to help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back