Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think it has little more than a local effect on reducing the illegal trade in herps. Just about anything that is endemic to WA is available in the other states, and has been for years. I don't condone the illegal collection and movement of herps from WA to the other states, but the few individuals caught and convicted of doing this would be just the tip of the iceberg. Many of the offenders are known to the authorities, but are very slippery indeed.

Jamie

That’s pretty much sums it up Jamie. It will be interested to see how popular some of the new locale specific additions become over your way, the southern Pygmy’s might be of interest to a few I would think and of course our Kimberly banded tree snakes I am guessing.

So that list is 5. What was the sixth species?

Congratulations guys in WA. Be some very excited helpers over there at the moment I'm sure.

Egernia Depressa was not approved - I'm not sure of the specifics yet but I understand from others it has some issues due to its recent reclassification. I'm sure we will get some feed back from DEC at some stage.

This is probably a stupid question - but if we still can't import, how will the new species become available? Will we only have wild caught specimens available until private breeders breed new stock?

Also yeay for WA! Slowly catching up :) can't wait to get my paws on a water python! :)

I know CALM... DEC... whatever they're called now had a number of RSPs in Broome back in the early 2000s, and they did lay eggs. Whether or not they were eventually bred I don't know. There was a proposal to place them with reg 16 holders some years ago, so if that happened there may be pool of these animals from which the pet trade could benefit. Water pythons will not be in short supply I expect.

Jamie

This is probably a stupid question - but if we still can't import, how will the new species become available? Will we only have wild caught specimens available until private breeders breed new stock?

Also yeay for WA! Slowly catching up :) can't wait to get my paws on a water python! :)

I think you answered your own question

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 4

We can import anything but pythons.... So the only new additions that will be imported are Boiga Irregularis.
DPaW (DEC) will be watching the NWCP closely I think. Anyone who magically gets an albino will be getting special treatment no doubt. Part of our license conditions is allowing them to DNA test. So I imagine they will be trying to match the strain of known albinos with anything that pops up here. It will also be interesting to watch how they monitor the two sub species NWCP and SWCP and if any jerks try to cross bread them.
why would they need to import the Boiga they can get them from north WA

i cant seem to see the new list on the dec web site
i have also noticed that there is 5 cat but no animals in cat 1

why would they need to import the Boiga they can get them from north WA

i cant seem to see the new list on the dec web site
i have also noticed that there is 5 cat but no animals in cat 1
Importing means prices are kept at a more constant level and have access to a wider range of sources. If you could import rough scaled pythons then we propably would not be paying the $10k plus price that the first lot will fetch.
importing just means more options really.

99F8A821-74A9-468A-A548-25E3908F3C81-30613-0000101B184EFA01_zpsf8bc3d4c.jpg

1EF8189D-BEAE-4F09-8EFB-B763777E40F8-30613-0000101B259299E4_zpsd863943e.jpg

B5E78DDA-A416-4495-A347-3DEC192DE1E5-30613-0000101B2B487094_zpsb44a2f76.jpg

Importing means prices are kept at a more constant level and have access to a wider range of sources. If you could import rough scaled pythons then we propably would not be paying the $10k plus price that the first lot will fetch.
importing just means more options really.
$10k for a roughy i will meet you at the boarder haha i can see what your saying tho a lot more effort involved. I cant believe they ways your cat are set up I consider my self lucky living in the territory.

Jamie as far as the Broome Rough scales go this was my little experience with them. I visited the Broome DEC reptile collection many years ago and it was very clear that they had absolutely no frigging idea what they were doing with regards to successfully expanding the Rough scale population. They breed them every year okay but persisted with maternal incubation in conditions that wouldn’t ever allow it be ever successful. When the eggs died they took the view that the eggs were always infertile in the first place and not their fault, not the fact that temperature inside the caging supplied got to such ridiculously high temperatures for long periods that it was always going to kill them lol. I even offered free of charge a purpose build incubator to place inside their air conditioned office but was turned down because I guess they thought they knew best lol. One season they did contact me 2 weeks after a clutch because they hadn’t set up a suitable nest box or conditions and the eggs were shrinking. After seeing the pics of a nice looking clutch but dehydrated I advised them to provide humidity and a stable temperature and also to ever so slightly mist the eggs to immediately rehydrate them a bit. They then sent me a later pic of them in a child’s humidity crib and what looked like the eggs had just had a whole bucket of water poured over them lol. It was hard to get angry though (more disappointed) as the head of the DEC up there at the time really was an absolutely fantastic bloke but definitely not a snake person (you know who I am talking about Jamie lol)

My personal opinion is that the paper trail created by the system implemented by CALM is unnecessarily complex and we have worked behind the scenes to have it simplified. It requires the existing committee to pick up the baton on that one if it is going to happen.

With the splitting up of the E. drepessa complex, each new species now requires a separate official evaluation of its conservation status, despite the fact that we know the depressa species is far away the common and widespread. I have no idea when that is likely to happen but I sure as hell would not hold my breath. once it does they will get added to the list.

I am pretty sure there is a monitor or two currently in the pipeline.

Nothing was committed by DEC as regards the sourcing of RSPs, which is partly why I was pleasantly surprised to discover they had been given the green light. There are two private reptile parks that have animals but it will require an exemption to breed them and dispose of the offspring commercially. Something else the WAHS committee will no doubt organise on behalf of WA keepers. I think someone told me the Broome animals went to SA so they are out of contention.

Someone mentioned claiming wild-caught animals as captive bred but I cannot remember if it was this thread or elsewhere. Not a good idea. DPaW have access to all the technology and have used it many times. It was initially employed to reduce robbing cockatoo nests of eggs and young. The number of claims of eggs produced by breeding Red-tailed Cockatoos went from 300 one year to 1 the next. It has already been used on a number of occasions within the reptile keeping system.

Hope that answers all the questions adequately - I'll be back later if not.

Speaking of "slippery characters" Jamie, do we know any more about what happened to a certain person that fits that bill?

Blue

Exciting news for WA and East coast keepers alike.....Wouldn't mind getting my hands on some locale spec pygmies......

Dave, your comments re: Broome RSPs mirror my own to a T. Several clutches, all lost due to lack of expertise or interest... damned shame. But I agree with you about the officer too...

Mike, I'm sure I know who you're referring to... and there might be a bit to report by the end of this week. It would be great if I had good news for you from this side of the country, so I've got my fingers crossed. Slippery he is...

Jamie

Also does anyone have North Westerns from WA in captivity? If not how long before there would be any collected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back