Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that the WA bureaucrats put RSPs into Cat 5 - not a difficult python to keep, and already they're in surplus over here in the east, after about 10 years of captive breeding. The same thing should happen with Pilbara Olives - very big snakes, big clutches, limited appeal in the hobby... collect a few that would otherwise be crushed under the wheels of a road-train (heavens... you can't do that, you might endanger the species..!), within 5 years you'd have hundreds of them.

But I guess there's a hinderance to that - once in the trade, most petkeepers wouldn't know a Pilbara from a northern Olive, so the genetics would be stuffed up in no time... maybe not such a good idea. Best to leave them where they are...

Jamie

Congratulations to the guys who got these changes through. The thing I don't understand is if the DEC knows there are large captive populations already of some of these species on the east coast, why don't they allow a limited number of permits (50-100) for hobbyists to import genetically suitable animals to begin the breeding base in WA?

it takes the pressure off the wild caught populations and allows the hobbyists to build a large base of animals to help future proof the survival of these species in the face of the cane toads western march.

WA keepers are getting slugged with another stupid tax now. Someone imported live feeder insects the other day and they got a $40 bill from quarantine WA. Like wise someone imported some elapids and they got a bill for $56 per snake, even though they didn't open and inspect the box. Add to that the $100 per animal fee to DEC and the $30 permit to import....

yep the same is happening with plant seeds coming from interstate as well - I guess someone has got to pay for the government over spend

It used to be only business that had to pay and private was free.

I think it's a move to discourage the movement of any plants & animals into WA as time goes on. I sometimes buy plants online, and it's obvious there are costs incurred at this end as well for those exporting orders to WA. WA definitely has a bureaucratic seige mentality. The bloody Nullarbor is both a blessing and a curse for you guys...

Jamie

One of the licensed takers has just said that there is an export ban for at least the first five years on the new species that were added. I guess the rest of Australia wont be getting any WA pygmy pythons, water pythons, NWCP, brown tree snakes or RSP anytime soon...

I guess we will have to wait a few years until different locales of pygmy pythons are available. :(

It does make sense as it allows you guys in WA to establish captive populations before exporting (in theory anyhow)

Yeah. Probably should have been that way from the start. The wheatbelt got destroyed with the demand for stimi's.

I thought there would have been set quotas on how many animals can be taken from an area.

And the reason for the delay on exports would have being to ensure genetic diversity in WA collections instead of a lot of animals from the quota being sent over east.

Is that not the case?

Now we just need the collectors to apply to have the new species added to their license AND get approved!

I guess now that all termite mounds within sight of the roads in the Pilbara will be demolished in search of perthensis, just like the wheatbelt granites have been reduced to rubble in the search for Stimson's... It beggars belief that some of the original species are still on the wild-take lists after ten years, Stimson's and SW Carpets especially... some local populations must be just about wiped out now.

Jamie

Good news, new W.A species addition's approved.
Water pythons
Rough scaled pythons
Pygmy Pythons
North Westerns Carpets
Brown Tree snakes
Time to go herping and have me some paid fun I think
Regards Dave

what so your going to catch these species?

I guess now that all termite mounds within sight of the roads in the Pilbara will be demolished in search of perthensis, just like the wheatbelt granites have been reduced to rubble in the search for Stimson's... It beggars belief that some of the original species are still on the wild-take lists after ten years, Stimson's and SW Carpets especially... some local populations must be just about wiped out now.

Jamie

Sad but true.

Sad but true.

I find it quite bizarre that I and a few others spent 10 years being told by (then) CALM that allowing private individuals to keep reptiles would have huge negative consequences for wild populations, and yet they have allowed unfettered collecting of species now commonly bred to still be taken from the wild after 10 years. I guess it's like the eastern states and pokies - once governments get on the revenue drip they have difficulty weaning themselves off it - and WA has other enormous imposts on keepers as well, including the new quarantine "inspection" fee. Bizarre indeed...

Jamie

I find it quite bizarre that I and a few others spent 10 years being told by (then) CALM that allowing private individuals to keep reptiles would have huge negative consequences for wild populations, and yet they have allowed unfettered collecting of species now commonly bred to still be taken from the wild after 10 years. I guess it's like the eastern states and pokies - once governments get on the revenue drip they have difficulty weaning themselves off it - and WA has other enormous imposts on keepers as well, including the new quarantine "inspection" fee. Bizarre indeed...

Jamie

Without proof of same, I don't believe the licensed takers are generally to blame for any of the habitat destruction. The collectors in general hold themselves to high conservation standards (with regards to habitat) and collect in sustainable ways. The wholesale collection of common forms of the species you mentioned has been replaced by collectors chasing after more unique and interesting locale specific animals. I believe this still has a place here to establish a genetically diverse population. Having said that, I certainly believe there is a case to end the export of wild caught specimens, however the means for this to occur is unclear.

I am more of the opinion the wholesale damage to snake habitat, especially the wheat-belt, would continue to occur regardless of rules and regulations and simply punish those who are doing the right thing (legally).

There is a definite sense over here that the department is certainly looking for ways to increase it's otherwise miserable budget and the bizarre changes seem to be a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back