Good Starter Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenGaytime404

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've been looking into getting a snake for a little while and i have a plastic tub I've been meaning to use for a while that's 57cm x 41cm x 33cm and 52 litres. This will be my first ever snake (and reptile for that matter) but I'm stuck on the fence about what snake to get. I would prefer one that wouldn't require a basking light because I'm worried about melting the plastic.

what do you like?

No python *needs* a basking light and can get away with heat cord or heat mat

I've been looking at antaresias (children's specifically) and womas and they seem to have good temperaments. Though i'm not sure if the tub will be big enough for the woma.

Looking purely at the size, that tub is fine for a Children's and not big enough for a Woma (or any Australian python other than Antaresia). Keep in mind that you'll be spending about $150 on a thermostat, about $20-50 on a heat mat or heat cord, and even the water bowl might be more expensive than the plastic tub, so I wouldn't get too hung up on the $15 tub you happen to have.

Children's Pythons are great snakes and come in some fantastic morphs these days, brilliant choice, perfect first snake.

The only Australian python I'd say needs a basking lamp is a Diamond. A few others do best with them but other than the southern forms of Morelia spilota (including bredli) I wouldn't bother using one.

i'll be making the water dish and some of the decorations since its a hobby of mine so that'll reduce the cost for those. I'll be buying the other things gradually since my work has had to make some cutbacks *cough*mcdonaldswhy*cough* and i'm looking for a new job anyway so actually acquiring the snake is still a ways off.

i'll be making the water dish and some of the decorations since its a hobby of mine so that'll reduce the cost for those. I'll be buying the other things gradually since my work has had to make some cutbacks *cough*mcdonaldswhy*cough* and i'm looking for a new job anyway so actually acquiring the snake is still a ways off.

Whether it's all done tomorrow or it takes a few months or years, the tub isn't a big part of the equation, but whatever works :)

...making your own water bowl! In decades of keeping reptiles and talking to literally thousands of reptile keepers you are definitely the first person I've met who is planning to make their own water bowl for their first snake! You must be into glazed pottery, sounds fun :)

Whether it's all done tomorrow or it takes a few months or years, the tub isn't a big part of the equation, but whatever works :)

...making your own water bowl! In decades of keeping reptiles and talking to literally thousands of reptile keepers you are definitely the first person I've met who is planning to make their own water bowl for their first snake! You must be into glazed pottery, sounds fun :)

lmao. since i still live with my parents i'm not allowed to use the oven for this stuff so i'm using a very good quality air-dry clay instead. i also do doll customs on the odd occasion so lots of arty stuff XD.

I know almost nothing about pottery, but without a kiln, how would you glaze a clay/ceramic water vessel?

I wouldn't use a kitchen oven for this stuff either :p Don't kilns get a lot hotter than kitchen ovens anyway? Again, I know nothing about pottery so maybe I'm way off.

I know almost nothing about pottery, but without a kiln, how would you glaze a clay/ceramic water vessel?

I wouldn't use a kitchen oven for this stuff either :p Don't kilns get a lot hotter than kitchen ovens anyway? Again, I know nothing about pottery so maybe I'm way off.

0818afdd7a916edb652e8f42b36b4cc0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can make waterproof sealants by using watered down pva glue and mod podge. i'll be making sure to do several tests to make sure i get it properly waterproof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back