Got my first motorcycle!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you got out of it ok, I'm sure your pride will mend quickly enough.

When you do that to the steering you should back the bolts on the triple clamp off just a bit and 'bump' the wheel against a wall or tree etc to knock it back across. Then nip up your bolts again.

Your fairing if it cracked can be fixed a couple of ways, one of which is to use NeadIt epoxy metal... it's a two part putty that you knead together and then smoosh it on the back of the crack and it bonds with the fibreglass when it dries. You apply it to the back of the fairing so it's not visible.

Thanks Gruni for the tips on fixing the bike will tighten the bolts this evening once I get him. Will get the NeadIt epoxy, would I be able to pick that stuff up at Bunnings? I'll be heading down to the new opening of the MCA store in Caringbah this weekend though, apparently they'll be having a massive sale (heard it on the radio) to pick up some other stuff. My brake lever is bent as well, still useable but I'd rather replace it.

I think Bunnings would have it or something like it, otherwise Repco or Supercheap would be worth checking. There are also a couple of little tricks you can use to reinforce the epoxy repair.... a little piece of tin sheet with a heap of holes drilled through it pressed into the soft epoxy so it worms through like vegimite on a salada and then squish down the worms onto the tin. Or even some fly screen mesh.

Crashed my first motorcycle! :facepalm:

Car was tailing me way too closely as I came up to a roundabout, didn't slow down enough out of fear of getting hit from behind... was going too fast as I was coming out of the roundabout and went straight into the curb & fence! Thankfully had all my gear on, just got a bruised leg by getting my leg stuck under the bike when I fell. Picked up the bike, scraped my pride off the floor and moved around the corner.

Bit of damage to the bike, front wheel not aligned to steering anymore, crack in the fairing (small) but that's about it. Called up a repairer, he told me to put the wheel against a brick wall and straighten it by bending the steering in the opposite direction. That seemed to work! But will hopefully get it inspected by a mechanic once I build up the skills to ride it comfortably.

But yea, thankfully not too much damage, lesson learnt, just a bit of pride lost :(

MATE! Glad to hear your okay but in future one tip....if people are tailing you slow down....slowly but slow down(i tap my brakes about 4 times each time dropping my speed by 2k or so)....if they do not like your speed they will go around you. I have this psycho the other day it was not funny, i accellerated and sweared through traffic to avoid her and constantly changed lanes and yet she was still there so eventually I kept braking and looking back at her to back off...eventually she went around me....and i ended up getting past her again and when we stopped at a set of lights I put my bike in neutral and put my stand down and fort against my urges the hardest I have ever had to.....so that I didn't walk up to her car, rip her out by her hair and knock her one. She was in a red 4WD with a big bullbar and was varying 1-2m behind me at 65km in a 60zone. I was not happy and fuming...if I ever see her again I will give her a mouthful as I think that since getting a bike it has opened my eyes to how oblivious and selfish people on 4 wheels are!

Hang in there and take it easy...and remember if they are tail gating you slow down....they will get the gist and if they don't pull over and let them pass :)

Take it easy dude!

Last edited by a moderator:
MATE! Glad to hear your okay but in future one tip....if people are tailing you slow down....slowly but slow down(i tap my brakes about 4 times each time dropping my speed by 2k or so)....

Yup, learnt my lesson... won't be doing that again! I'm back to just riding back streets for now. I found a parking lot about 2 km away from my place, can get there through the back streets without crossing any heavy traffic. Went there last night to regain some confidence. Will be practicing there for a bit before I venture out into traffic again.

Last edited:
my first moto

hi guys just came across the thread this is my first bike a cbr 250r
IMG_0126.jpg
had it about 6mths and nearly done 6000km on her, i ride her to work everyday and enjoy every minute of it, gear up for every ride, theres a saying my father inlaw said to me who has been riding for years,

dont dress for the ride, dress for the fall

Glad you're ok after the stack, I've lost count of the times I've nearly been hit by people who see a bike and decide they want to make it a hood ornament. Keep ya wits about you don't let other road users pressure you into a mistake.

Keep On Ridin'

Last edited by a moderator:
I work in a trauma and plastics unit in a large Melbourne hospital. Not surprisingly, the ratio of motorbike accidents to car accidents is disproportionately high. The advice on here to gear up appropriately cannot be stressed enough. Just google images of free flap, split skin grafts, degloving etc... you'll get the picture! Most patients I see weren't wearing the right gear.

Congrats on the bike, it sucks that you've stacked it already but at least you're ok :)

If you get a passion for motorcycling it'll never go away so be warned lol. I always have a go pro running when I'm riding. I've had these interesting events happen within less than a week of each other:

Smidsy - YouTube

Inconsiderate bus driver! - YouTube

I ride a V Star 650, got it in September last year, upgraded from a 250 Virago. Got a good deal too, the original owner paid $12,500 for it brand new in 2008 and he hadn't even put 5,500 kilometers on it. I paid $7,000 for it :D

It's gone on 4 Great Ocean Road trips and now has over 11,000 k's on it :D

I've spent a bit over $1,500 on it so far for a new exhaust, saddlebags and supports,engine guards and a tank panel. There's still over $3,000 worth of things I want to change/add to it. It's getting done slowly.

Attachments

• Beast10.jpg
    Beast10.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Beast9.jpg
    Beast9.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Beast6.jpg
    Beast6.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 60
Congrats on the bike, it sucks that you've stacked it already but at least you're ok :)

If you get a passion for motorcycling it'll never go away so be warned lol. I always have a go pro running when I'm riding. I've had these interesting events happen within less than a week of each other:

Smidsy - YouTube

Inconsiderate bus driver! - YouTube

I ride a V Star 650, got it in September last year, upgraded from a 250 Virago. Got a good deal too, the original owner paid $12,500 for it brand new in 2008 and he hadn't even put 5,500 kilometers on it. I paid $7,000 for it :D

It's gone on 4 Great Ocean Road trips and now has over 11,000 k's on it :D

I've spent a bit over $1,500 on it so far for a new exhaust, saddlebags and supports,engine guards and a tank panel. There's still over $3,000 worth of things I want to change/add to it. It's getting done slowly.
Very nice and at least your upgrades are cheap. I got an cam kit with gear drive installed on my Harley and it cost about $2000 let alone all the other stuff. Really nice looking bike though and you are so lucky to have the great ocean road at your disposal.

Very nice and at least your upgrades are cheap. I got an cam kit with gear drive installed on my Harley and it cost about $2000 let alone all the other stuff. Really nice looking bike though and you are so lucky to have the great ocean road at your disposal.

Your stuff is a pretty big hit to the pocket. Worth it though, isn't it? This bike is the nicest thing I've ever owned, I remember staring at it when I brought it home and thinking "Wow, this is really mine?" By the time I'm finished with it, it will be far from stock. Here's what I've got planned for it:

Passing lamps and the visors for them and the headlight
Air kit (extra horsepower plus it looks better than the boring stock circle shaped air cleaner)

Flamed hand grips

Sissy bar

Mustang studded tour seats

Star bars (I'm 5ft1 and the stock bars have me leaning forward which gives me a pain in the back after a while. I've loosened the current bars off and bent them down to bring them closer to me but it still isn't close enough)

Flame floorboards

Eagle beak mirrors

It's a case of "What can I afford to buy for the bike this month?" :D

The GOR is my favourite road, the best corners are after Lorne and there's usually less traffic. I like to go on weekdays because there are less morons on the road.

here is my current pair left bike is 2001 Aprilia Rs250 my learner bike been in garage storage for 5years due to many a close miss, and my newest buy a 2003 Ducati 749s

6096ddac-0aed-4095-b4f5-f2994a0910da.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back