Got Some strange advice today, please comment

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You should see the size of some of the fish I've caught.

Lets not hammer the OP over perceived size, I've enjoyed his threads and foray into the world of reptiles.

I have seen the pics of him and Frank looks like he is in excellent condition, certainly not underfed, and if that is him in your avatar pic I'd say he is a yearling. This guy sounds like he doesn't know what the hell he's on about.

- - - Updated - - -

You should see the size of some of the fish I've caught.

Lets not hammer the OP over perceived size, I've enjoyed his threads and foray into the world of reptiles.

Not hammering him at all, I know how easy it is to over estimate length, I've done it myself. By the way, love those pictures of Frank Cougar.

Was it this big?
100_4394.jpg

I just fed my 3 and a half foot bredli a medium rat and he took it down no problem the bulge should be noticeable[/QUOTe.How olds your bredli?

I'm basing the 4ft on the fact that he is in a 4ft enclosure and when he/she moves along it he has about 2 inches to spare from one end to the other.

ill get him/her/shim out tomorrow and get some pics with something in it to scale him.

I really want to give the best care I can, and I guess a picture is worth a thousand words.

thanks heaps for the input guys. I'll post pics in the morning.

Oh and don't worry about me, I've also caught plenty of fish in my time, and I love a good hammering :)

- - - Updated - - -

Was it this big?
100_4394.jpg

Um hard to get a scale, but proportionally I'd say no. Not that big.

Heres a decent bulge for you... this is a wild diamond end of winter a few years back... personally with diamonds I would keep them with very little heat, offer food that leave's a good bulge, but feed them once every 3 -4 weeks... also with the sexing, popping isnt 100% when it comes up as a female...
z1z.jpg

are you sure he popped it , like did you see the dangly bits :lol: or was it a metal probe shoved up its you know what which is probing , only ask because i was led to believe that popping where you see the snakes bits should only be done in the first few weeks or something before the snake gains full muscle control so at one year old it would be to late , probing on the other hand can be done with an older animal

i got told the same thing (for once we agree :eek:)

Cathy

Doesn't really matter unless your breeding the snake. I've got animals here with no idea to their sex. Not breeding them, can't be bothered putting them through the stress.

Doesn't really matter unless your breeding the snake. I've got animals here with no idea to their sex. Not breeding them, can't be bothered putting them through the stress.

How do you know what to name them if you don't know if its a boy or a girl? or what colour to paint their enclosure

i got told the same thing (for once we agree :eek:)

Cathy
nope cant happen you have disagree this just feels unnatural ;);)

to the point though ive been thinking that maybe i was just told what i was in a way to attempt to deter me from trying it myself but then i cant work out why i said it in stuff i read aswell i just cant remember where it was i read it

The best way (IMO) of knowing the size of the feed required for a snake is to weigh it and feed it about 15-20% every 10-14 days. Again, IMO if you look at the rat and look at the snake and think to yourself "rat looks a bit big.... hope snakey can fit it in!" then it is prolly about the right size :lol:

According to the show with David Attenborough just recently, (Life in cold blood) when a snake feeds, its liver doubles in size and so does its heart. That could explain the bulge, as well as the size of the feed. I am not claiming this to be right, some expert comments would be good ;)

Popping snakes can be done at any age.
There is more risk in popping a hatchy then an adult snake. They are much more fragile.
I don't know where this myth of not being able to pop adults and it being dangerous after a few weeks came from and why it is so widely spread but I have found it is the opposite.
I have had a friend buy a hatchy that was a few weeks old and the seller popped it when he bought it. The seller snapped its spine.
I have popped all my own pythons and many for friends and clients and never had a problem but I will not pop one until I think it is large enough to handle it.

It's not uncommon to find snakes with a large food bulge but I thought this was unusually large for an elapid.154169_480659349888_122508_n.jpg

It's not uncommon to find snakes with a large food bulge but I thought this was unusually large for an elapid.View attachment 267679

Thats interesting because with wild cobras and kraits etc that need a feed they very seldom eat everything we offer
Vipers can pack in the tucker though and will swallow pretty big items
Maybe because of different metabolism in most vens??
We see vens and colubrids lose weight a lot faster than pythons do and want smaller food items much more often

I feed my 5/6 foot coastle a LRG gunniepig. Nd the next time i checked on her she waz parralised from the middle of her back half of her body. I **** bricks. Thort she might hav fallen of her branch nd brok her spine as there waz a noticeabull kink that had not been there b4 Then i checked her cage nd noticed she had not passed ,,gunnieP t throu. Wen i picked her up i could feel her lower half throbing long story short. Put her out on grass she could not move anywhere at all. So i pushed on her a bit nd gently helped her push it out ...she would hav probly died if i didnt The GP. Had 2 much thick hair nd blocked her up witch was pinching a nerv i waz told ... Anyway. My point is dont feed 2 much at the one time ,,, nd dont feed them fluffy gunnie pigs ......lol...just thort i would add that....(((((yer my spelling sucks))) i no!! Cheers..jEZzA

- - - Updated - - -

I feed my 5/6 foot coastle a LRG gunniepig. Nd the next time i checked on her she waz parralised from the middle of her back half of her body. I **** bricks. Thort she might hav fallen of her branch nd brok her spine as there waz a noticeabull kink that had not been there b4 Then i checked her cage nd noticed she had not passed ,,gunnieP t throu. Wen i picked her up i could feel her lower half throbing long story short. Put her out on grass she could not move anywhere at all. So i pushed on her a bit nd gently helped her push it out ...she would hav probly died if i didnt The GP. Had 2 much thick hair nd blocked her up witch was pinching a nerv i waz told ... Anyway. My point is dont feed 2 much at the one time ,,, nd dont feed them fluffy gunnie pigs ......lol...just thort i would add that....(((((yer my spelling sucks))) i no!! Cheers..jEZzA

Ok Guys, it is official. I got Franket next to a tape measure today. She is 1.07mtrs so a but shorter than just under 4 ft. Ill start to describe her as a bit over 3 ft :)

I got some photos of her bulge today. i guess 24hrs later its gone down a bit and i think its all good.

Now One thing I would like to know........How do you definitively sex a diamond python ha ha ha. So many opinions and so few answers. I now have doubt about yesterdays experience. But others say probing is dangerous and also not accurate, or do i just have to wait to see whos on top in about 5 years time ??? :) thanks guys

IMG_3413.jpg IMG_3420.jpg IMG_3425.jpg IMG_3427.jpg

Oh and anyone who can give advice on how to take better pics. I have a Canon EOS 50D but for some reason i cant shoot Macro. It looks good through the finder but wont take the shot.

Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back