Got Some strange advice today, please comment

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Guys, it is official. I got Franket next to a tape measure today. She is 1.07mtrs so a but shorter than just under 4 ft. Ill start to describe her as a bit over 3 ft :)

I got some photos of her bulge today. i guess 24hrs later its gone down a bit and i think its all good.

Now One thing I would like to know........How do you definitively sex a diamond python ha ha ha. So many opinions and so few answers. I now have doubt about yesterdays experience. But others say probing is dangerous and also not accurate, or do i just have to wait to see whos on top in about 5 years time ??? :) thanks guys

View attachment 267735 View attachment 267736 View attachment 267737 View attachment 267739

Oh and anyone who can give advice on how to take better pics. I have a Canon EOS 50D but for some reason i cant shoot Macro. It looks good through the finder but wont take the shot.

Thanks

i usually use macro zoom so dont get too close to the subject and it will take the photo

Cathy

Yes I reckon she is awesome to.

getting a friend delivered tomorrow. The new enclosure is all ready to go. Just adding snake.

im excited :D

also have new enclosure under construction. Thinking 2 x Bredli's this time.... If the misses doesn't kill me first

these snakes are to damn addictive

I go by weight, anything between 20-25% of the body mass is a good feed.

I have a problem atm with not being able to find anything larger than a Weaner rat but not as big as an adult, slim pickings here in Perth.

Im happy to send you some Davo lol, they are in plague proportions here.

Funny thing though. The ones I have been buying recently are covered in red mite. dead of course but thousands of them. and not just one rat either. Bags purchased from different stores. I am new to this so not to sure weather its a bad thing or a normal thing. I spent ages washing them off as best i could. maybe not really necessary but those bloody mites are like cockroaches. you just cant kill them. I get them in my breeding aviaries all the time and they are a real pain in the butt. Is is safe to feed this sort of food to a snake? I am assuming since the rats have been killed and frozen for some time, so to have been the mites but would like confirmation.

Cheers

Jamie

i found the same sort of mite/lice thingys on some rats i bought months back , i asked the same question and the general consensus was that they where fine i fed them to my snakes and nothing bad ever came of it

No just that probing isn't all that accurate

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, ok, I will have to unlearn everything I have ever learned or been told about probing being PROBABLY the most accurate way of determining the sex of a snake? Cool, I will let the breeders and the vet I use know that they wasted thier money buying and using probing kits? Damn, that vet probed a mates snake, told him it was male ..... charged him for the process.... and all the time probes dont work? It is just a guess I guess? what a rip off! ;)

If anyone decides to throw out thier now useless probe kit..... I'll take it off your hands for you :)

Yeah you'd be surprised what they can get down.

I recently upped my 8,5 month old, 2ft approx Jungle, to a Hopper rat every six days and my 9 month old, 2 1/2 - 3ft, Murray Darling up to Weaner Rats, every 7 days.

After they had both shed - I usually up their food sizes after each shed or two.

No just that probing isn't all that accurate

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, ok, I will have to unlearn everything I have ever learned or been told about probing being PROBABLY the most accurate way of determining the sex of a snake? Cool, I will let the breeders and the vet I use know that they wasted thier money buying and using probing kits? Damn, that vet probed a mates snake, told him it was male ..... charged him for the process.... and all the time probes dont work? It is just a guess I guess? what a rip off! ;)

If anyone decides to throw out thier now useless probe kit..... I'll take it off your hands for you :)

Probing isnt useless, but I have seen many snakes probed as females end up being male.
I never said that it was just guess work, I am just saying that your comment of it being "very accurate" isnt well, all that accurate.
I will still probe my snakes to get a good idea of their sex, but I will be doing so knowing full well that there is a small chance of the results not being 100% accurate.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on what your probing your snakes with!!!

If the snake is big enough, and you b@lls are big enough, you can use your finger :lol: (just get ready to run if you havent got help holding the snake):shock:

Last edited:
Probing isnt useless, but I have seen many snakes probed as females end up being male.
I never said that it was just guess work, I am just saying that your comment of it being "very accurate" isnt well, all that accurate.
I will still probe my snakes to get a good idea of their sex, but I will be doing so knowing full well that there is a small chance of the results not being 100% accurate.
Although ive seen probed females turn male and visa-versa. Imo the inaccuracies comes from the one who is probing.

Last edited:

The above posts quote isnt my quote? That is a quote from Geckojosh 6 posts or so above? You (or someone) has cut out all of what my quote was and left GJ's comment. Can you please edit out that it was my comment as it wasnt. thanx

I agree with your comment, btw caliherp :) The prober has to be experienced (and know what they are doing) or the results can vary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back