Got Some strange advice today, please comment

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is all very funny but, my Darwin python had not defecated for quite a while but nothing to be alarmed about going by the advice given here, I was holding him and felt a huge marble like lump. He was actually congested and needed help, so it is not always a case of leave him be he'll be right.

not lately, used to be real snappy as a youngster, at about 8 months when his teeth started to come through and when wifey would be trying to feeding him he would bite her, she would let out the worst scream, and said thats it i'm not feeding him anymore.....but lately he's been pretty cranky and snapping at the other occupaints in his enclosure, i thought it was ok to keep him in a family group, well thats what i was told by the expert technician that delivered him to us

little cold, but he has plenty of room to move, he is a week out of the vet clinic where we had to have some useless body organs removed and is hardly eating, is this something to worry about also? normally strikes and takes all food thats offered, but is currently just picking..very unusual..has lost a bit of condition well.......wifey is very worried

Maybe you need to dust his crickets with calcium? is he toung flicking ok? is his toung a nice shade of blue?:lol:

I know this is all very funny but, my Darwin python had not defecated for quite a while but nothing to be alarmed about going by the advice given here, I was holding him and felt a huge marble like lump. He was actually congested and needed help, so it is not always a case of leave him be he'll be right.

i do understand that compaction can happen KJ, and if someone said their snake hadnt done number 2 for months I wouldnt laugh, but the amount of people that have been told their snake will poo EXACTLY every 5 days after a feed is amazing. The same as toilet training snakes- no, the snake has you trained to take him outside, which in turn stimulates his desire to crap....

i do understand that compaction can happen KJ, and if someone said their snake hadnt done number 2 for months I wouldnt laugh, but the amount of people that have been told their snake will poo EXACTLY every 5 days after a feed is amazing. The same as toilet training snakes- no, the snake has you trained to take him outside, which in turn stimulates his desire to crap....

The easiest way to fix this problem....... is to hang him on the line and beat the poop out of him ;)

Maybe you need to dust his crickets with calcium? is he toung flicking ok? is his toung a nice shade of blue?:lol:

mouth is dry, funny coloured discharge coming from nasal cavity, tougue is rough and pinkish lookin, he is resting at the moment back in his enclosure but his breathing is very noisey......should i be worried about RI???? He is very lathargic at the moment

Oh well, sounds really bad:shock: best while he is resting.... might be a good time to go and probe mummy?:shock: (for her thoughts, I mean):lol:
cant get close to her, i have another hold back from her last clutch and since then she has been un handleable

Probing isnt useless, but I have seen many snakes probed as females end up being male.
I never said that it was just guess work, I am just saying that your comment of it being "very accurate" isnt well, all that accurate.
I will still probe my snakes to get a good idea of their sex, but I will be doing so knowing full well that there is a small chance of the results not being 100% accurate.

ahh yes,it all depends on whos probing that is a major factor,some vets and hobbyists i would not trust

I'm sure, as this poo paranoia becomes more entrenched, that the anxiety which is now measured in days will become more & more refined into hours, minutes and seconds, and the lives of some keepers will actually begin to revolve entirely around the "pooping hour..." which, when coupled with concerns about colour, texture, moisture content and other variables, will totally consume the keeper and destroy any and all enjoyment they might have derived from their reptile companion.

Jamie

Mistakes are made with probing all the time whether your experienced or not. Its a guide. Sometimes females will probe deep. Search deep probing and see the amount of threads on females that probe as deep as males. Carpetpythons.com had a female lay eggs that was 10-12 scales a few years ago if I remember correctly.

I'm sure, as this poo paranoia becomes more entrenched, that the anxiety which is now measured in days will become more & more refined into hours, minutes and seconds, and the lives of some keepers will actually begin to revolve entirely around the "pooping hour..." which, when coupled with concerns about colour, texture, moisture content and other variables, will totally consume the keeper and destroy any and all enjoyment they might have derived from their reptile companion.

Jamie

Sounds like its going to be a sh**ty times..

It was said earlier in the thread and seem to be a common agreement in keepers that probing (compared to other methods) is the preferred and more accurate methods of finding out the sex of your animal. I have a natural reluctance against popping as if I was a snake or any reptile, I feel that someone trying to force my insides to the outside would not be my idea of fun times.

Well apart from Cougar's genuine desire for understanding, which I think was well answered, I have to admit I enjoyed the hijack Bigbang and Ratbag maintained about the son, great story telling guys. :lol: 8)

Just pointing out again, that above quote was from geckojosh, not me.... I agree with you snakepimp.... and my opinion is someone with some experience can tell if a female is squeezing making the probe stop and give a false reading of a male. I would still trust an experts opinion of a probing..... ;)

Just pointing out again, that above quote was from geckojosh, not me.... I agree with you snakepimp.... and my opinion is someone with some experience can tell if a female is squeezing making the probe stop and give a false reading of a male. I would still trust an experts opinion of a probing..... ;)

Males probe deeper, not females ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back