Granite Belt Thick-Tailed Gecko Uvidicolus sphyrurus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cris

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I noticed someone asking about these in the shout box. I assumed these are illegal to keep, but then I thought it might be possible they are legally available and I have just not heard about it.

Are they legally available?

I have looked every where for people selling or keeping U. sphyrurus but only a couple of zoos and private herp collectors reliably keep them, I believe this is due to its preference for cold temperatures required for breeding which is hard to replicate in a captive setting. The person keeping them could have purchased wild caught specimens but the person who sold them probably illegally collected them as most pops. are in National parks.

Thanks for the info, requiring low temps would fit with their distribution. There is heaps of habitat outside national parks, not that that helps as far as being able to collect them legally.

There were some kicking around in nsw collections nearly 10 years ago, but only amongst a small number licenced keepers. Im more of a herp recluse these days and i am out the loop.

I remember seeing them on occasions at a particular roadside rest area, spot lighting at night. I was only checking on the resident population of cunninghams and would stumble upon them and the normal thickys. I recall the gex were only seen on the hot nights though.

I saw a heap at a castle hill expo 2 - 3 years or so ago but hadnt heard much since.
But Ive also noticed its harder to find many things of late, not that these were common before. Just those with them don't communicate with wider audiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back