[GRAPHIC] Decapitated snake head bites it's own body - footage.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnerism

Reaction score
Just seen this.

SOME MEMBERS MAY PREFER NOT TO WATCH THIS VIDEO AS THE CONTENT IS GRAPHIC. PLEASE MAKE A REASONED JUDGEMENT BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO VIEW BASED ON WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN AND THE TITLE OF THE VIDEO ITSELF. IT HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED AS DESPITE ITS GRAPHIC NATURE IT CONTAINS AN EDUCATIONAL ELEMENT AS REGARDS THE SAFE DISPATCHING OF VENOMOUS SNAKES AND THE RISKS THEY STILL POSE IF THIS IS PERFORMED IN THE MANNER SHOWN.

LETS KEEP THIS CIVIL PLEASE

Decapitated snake's head attacks its own body

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a read up, this isn't all that uncommon.

sorry, but I find that abit cruel(what he did)
Filming the poor thing dying like that. Discusting...

Last edited:
Personally, I would presume capturing the snake (safely, of course), whether it be drop an upturned bucket over it, or whatever, and calling a snake catcher/relocater would be the more logical, and humane choice.

In saying that, if he was in a remote area, sometimes you have no other choice than to do what needs to be done. If I was in his position, and there was risk of being bitten, and there was no way of having someone come out in a timely manner, I would have taken the same action.

I know some will disagree with this.

Personally, I would presume capturing the snake (safely, of course), whether it be drop an upturned bucket over it, or whatever, and calling a snake catcher/relocater would be the more logical, and humane choice.

In saying that, if he was in a remote area, sometimes you have no other choice than to do what needs to be done. If I was in his position, and there was risk of being bitten, and there was no way of having someone come out in a timely manner, I would have taken the same action.

I agree with you. I used to live on a rural property +40mins away from the nearest hospital and if confronted by a snake in my wood pile my first instinct would be to whack it with the block splitter.

I don't agree with any of this rubbish and animal cruelty.

I have encountered many snakes over the years, in many different lands. I am yet to find one which didn't leave me alone, if I left it alone. In any event, there will always be a reptile-friendly local who is happy to do a catch and release.

the circumstances do not , to me at least , scream imminent danger , he attacked it with a machete and chopped it directly behind the head , to me this indicates that he took the time to line the shot up , not a frantic swing as he desperately made a dash for safety ( like he really should of done )
there is more risk of being bitten buy attempting to kill the animal rather than just letting it be , it got in the wood pile on its own it can leave on its own
the animal also was not in an area that he absolutely had to be in , this man had more choices available to him than you seem to realise , he decided to take the absolute riskiest of them all and engage in conflict with the animal , something that did not have to happen

I agree with you. I used to live on a rural property +40mins away from the nearest hospital and if confronted by a snake in my wood pile my first instinct would be to whack it with the block splitter.
the above directed at you to , but i will say this directly to you, you say that you live 40 mins + away from the nearest hospital , and if confronted with that situation your instinct would be to "whack it" , where do you get your logic ? wouldn't it be a far safer option to step back and watch the animal from a safe distance

you 2 do realise that most snake bite victims have in some way aggravated the snake

Some people are prepared to risk it and keep the cash in their pocket, regardless of the legalities (as toothless as those legalities are when it comes to snakes).

Remember you are allowed to shoot anything that looks like a snake in a tree from a boat in suburbia with a shotgun...and only receive a precaution ;) True story. Heroes are protected by law supposedly.

the circumstances do not , to me at least , scream imminent danger , he attacked it with a machete and chopped it directly behind the head , to me this indicates that he took the time to line the shot up , not a frantic swing as he desperately made a dash for safety ( like he really should of done )
there is more risk of being bitten buy attempting to kill the animal rather than just letting it be , it got in the wood pile on its own it can leave on its own
the animal also was not in an area that he absolutely had to be in , this man had more choices available to him than you seem to realise , he decided to take the absolute riskiest of them all and engage in conflict with the animal , something that did not have to happen

the above directed at you to , but i will say this directly to you, you say that you live 40 mins + away from the nearest hospital , and if confronted with that situation your instinct would be to "whack it" , where do you get your logic ? wouldn't it be a far safer option to step back and watch the animal from a safe distance

you 2 do realise that most snake bite victims have in some way aggravated the snake

I was in no way saying he was in the right; as mentioned, if I he had a way of containing it and having a professional attend and relocate it, that would have been the correct response.
In the article, it mentions he has a kid. I wouldn't want a venomous snake on my property if I had a child there. I believe action needed to be taken, but to me, it wasn't the right one. Killing should always be a last resort

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4

I was in no way saying he was in the right; as mentioned, if I he had a way of containing it and having a professional attend and relocate it, that would have been the correct response.
In the article, it mentions he has a kid. I wouldn't want a venomous snake on my property if I had a child there. I believe action needed to be taken, but to me, it wasn't the right one. Killing should always be a last resort

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
what im really trying to get at is why do you need to resort to killing when you can always turn to the act of walking away and notifying anyone on the property that a snake had been seen in the wood pile , using the fact that you have a child on the property as an excuse is ridiculous , he lives in the bush for crying out loud there will be snakes

Last edited:
I'm with Thomas on this one. I live on 6 Acres of Scrub and have seen at least 3 Browns around the place.
At one point I couldn't of been more than one-two metres away from one (juvenile). (was out the side gate and I didn't realise it was there until I turned around from shutting the gate)
So what did I do? Go crazy and try to 'whack it'? No, I stood completely still and it slithered behind some gas bottles.

I'm with Thomas on this one. I live on 6 Acres of Scrub and have seen at least 3 Browns around the place.
At one point I couldn't of been more than one-two metres away from one (juvenile). (was out the side gate and I didn't realise it was there until I turned around from shutting the gate)
So what did I do? Go crazy and try to 'whack it'? No, I stood completely still and it slithered behind some gas bottles.

Introducing children into the equation alters things though. Saying that my kids are now old enough to understand and know how to react around wild reptiles so I do not remove any.

Introducing children into the equation alters things though. Saying that my kids are now old enough to understand and know how to react around wild reptiles so I do not remove any.

I can see your point when it comes to Children, but in my particular case the only people home at the time were Me, Brother, and Mum.

Older brother does come up pretty regularly with his family (youngest child is 3). But the way I see it. Even if I did kill that one Brown, there is always going to be more. You can't protect children 24/7. Better off educating them as young as possible so they know what to do if ever confronted with a similar situation.

I can see your point when it comes to Children, but in my particular case the only people home at the time were Me, Brother, and Mum.

Older brother does come up pretty regularly with his family (youngest child is 3). But the way I see it. Even if I did kill that one Brown, there is always going to be more. You can't protect children 24/7. Better off educating them as young as possible so they know what to do if ever confronted with a similar situation.

That's what I have done with my kids. I also wasn't saying killing it was the answer. You are right that once removed it will eventually will be replaced but that will not usually happen straight away. I think we are basically on the same page about this.

Sorry, I think I used the word confronted wrongly. I didn't mean I would whack it if it were simply there minding it's own business. I wouldn't "line it up" in the least. I have previously encountered some very aggressive wildlife in and around my home, which is what I was referring to. I didn't think I needed to state the obvious about moving slowly and walking away. We would all prefer to do that.

Killing a snake is never the right decision, no matter what the circumstance, no if, buts, or maybes, kids, pets or any other thing you can think of.

If you see a snake and you don't want to be harmed, turn around and leave the area. By engaging the animal in any way you are endangering yourself.

And for those people who live in the country, killing the one snake you happen to see, is doing absolutely nothing to protect you from the hundreds of snakes you don't see on your property every year, if you're scared of snakes, don't go outside.

LAWRA - maybe it was bad wording , however Hamaliciuos pretty much has , there is no ifs, buts, or maybes

you touched on instincts now my instincts may not be the same as yours but when i was a kid living in the cane fields they used to do burns just before they harvested it , in this burn off there would be a whole heap of rats , lizards snakes etc that would come out from the burning cane , as the cruel little kids we were we used to go around armed with golf clubs and try to hit the rats fleeing the fire

one day during a burn i was standing up the embankment on the road waiting for rats when the next minute a rather large snake of some sort came up the embankment and was about a meter infront of me when i noticed him , i INSTINCTIVELY ( being a key word to this story ) stained my pants and leapt back , the snake then got in a defensive position so i stayed back , it then changed its direction and left me alone

i would like to hear from others who have genuinely found themselves in similar situations ( being startled by a snake in close range to you , not one that was slithering through your back yard so you decided to be a hero and "save" your family ) and what your instincts where , did you instantly turn to a fight for your life type mind set or did you try to remove yourself to safer ground

When I was a kid we lived on a small semi rural property and had a pond in the garden out the front of the house, I was looking at the fish and tadpoles one day when I heard some leaves rustling next to me, when I looked over there was a snake right beside me about a metre away and my instinct was to jump back straight away and then I ran inside. The thought in my head was get away not kill it and it was very close and scary as I had been warned about snakes and was scared of them.

People should just leave them alone as they help keep the rodents away from your property. And if you have children make sure you educate them and make sure they understand how serious it is that they need to keep away from them. I'm sure they're like cockroaches for every one you see theres a few you don't so you will never be 100% safe. Or just buy one of those protective bubbles and roll around in there all day they snakes wont get you in there ;)

I really get tired of the "I've got kids defence". And it is the most common defence for killing snakes. Is it any less tragic for a 19 year old to be killed than a 10 year old? It is an emotive defence to try justify acting like a hero. Cars can kill kids as well but I don't sit out on the highway shooting at passing motorists using the defence that "I've got a kid and they're dangerous and might kill it." Incidentally cars kill far more kids than snakes. Unless the snake is in your house or your kids cot leave them damn things alone. And yes...before anyone is compelled to ask I do have kids.

I really get tired of the "I've got kids defence". And it is the most common defence for killing snakes. Is it any less tragic for a 19 year old to be killed than a 10 year old? It is an emotive defence to try justify acting like a hero. Cars can kill kids as well but I don't sit out on the highway shooting at passing motorists using the defence that "I've got a kid and they're dangerous and might kill it." Incidentally cars kill far more kids than snakes. Unless the snake is in your house or your kids cot leave them damn things alone. And yes...before anyone is compelled to ask I do have kids.
Would you remove a venomous snake from your backyard if you had a young child that was too young to teach about snakes? I am in no way condoning killing snakes but I would remove a venomous snake from my backyard. Also your analogy with cars is a little off, I certainly tried my best as a parent to keep my kids away from the road to avoid being run over and moved onto teaching them road safety when they were old enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back