Gravid Bredli?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I know it's very late in the season, but I think my Bredli may be gravid, although it's hard to tell because I have not noticed her ovulate (have been checking every day) and she seems quite thin. She has not eaten in months so she has lost the condition she had prior to breeding season.
Anyway the other day I was looking along the length of her and noticed that she had little egg sized lumps inside her, so I decided to make a laying box for her with wet paper in the bottom of it, and this is what she has been doing ever since. What do you think?

Attachments

• gravbred.jpg
    gravbred.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 317
Looks like your in luck mate. Bredli do lay a lot later in the season than most other carpet varieties. If you have a record of when she last shed you should be able to work out the laying date. It's about 25-30 days after shedding. I would replace the damp paper with sphagnum moss. Are you going to incubate?

Hi Albs, yeah i'm gonna incubate, I know, I wish I had some spagnum moss, I honestly thought i'd missed out for this season, hopefully she doesn't lay tonight so i can get her some tomorro. Her last shed would have been at least a month ago.

Any longer han 35 days and I would say that she's not gravid. Not sure if you've bred before but if it's that long since she's shed you should be able to see the eggs moving down into position. Good luck, hope she is for you. I had one this year that was doing a similar thing, but she didn't end up laying anything. Keep us updated on what happens.

She does look gravid but i would say tha it is just too late in the season for her to be gravid now. Just because they bask belly up does not mean they are gravid. My bredli hatched a week ago if that puts it into perspective for you. Here's pics of my girl gravid and ovulating.

DSCF5486.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

Can you get a pic from above (or the side) that shows the back half of her body? If she is gravid the scales should be separated and you will be able to see the skin in between each scale. In fact, if she is gravid it should be very noticable just by looking at the lower half of her body.

Thanks waruikazi, when they ovulate, do they stay that fat for long or does it go down?
Mrbredli, i'm actually not at home right now, but i'll try to get a pic like that tomorro.
Thanks

They stay that way for less than 24 hours. But if you see your snakes on a regular basis there is no missing ovulation you should have seen it.

I checked out my Bredli today and her scales are seperated so it looks like I might be in luck, I tried to get a photo but my batterie died before I could get one good enough. So ive fired up the incubator and put some spagnum moss in with her, just have to keep my fingers crossed now.It's her first clutch which is maybe why it's not that noticeable.

Hi Charlie, I don't know anything about gravid snakes yet as i'm only begining, I just wanted to say how beautiful she is, I want to add some of these to my collection next year, i think they're great.

Armand, I'm not shure really, this season was my first attempt, but from my knowledge (which is pretty much limited to books) no.

she could have a small clutch, slugs or nothing at all, very hard to tell, not all gravid snakes are so obvious and even experienced python breeders can get the odd suprise so always keep an eye on questionable herps as you never know your luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back