Gravid Gecko Tail Bitten Off?!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_Maniac

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

To my shock my Northern Velvet Gecko gravid female's tale has disappeared I assume it has been bitten off by the male that was housed in the same enclosure despite the fact they were fed 2 days ago! The male and female are both the same size! Will my female still lay? I don't have another enclosure to house them in however if necessary will buy one ASAP. What should I do?

Thanks in advance,
James

How much of the tail was bitten off?
Are you sure it was bitten, it didn.t get caught in furnishings?

How much of the tail was bitten off?
Are you sure it was bitten, it didn.t get caught in furnishings?

I have had this happen to me once before with some leaf tails, it is a very uncommon thing to happen imo.
She will recover fine, just feed her up with gut-loaded crix dusted with calcium and she should still lay the eggs and regrow her tail, although I suspect she wont have another clutch until her tail has grown back.

The entire tail has come/bitten off. The tail could not have gotten caught in the furnishing and it is not anywhere in the enclosure!

- - - Updated - - -

I have had this happen to me once before with some leaf tails, it is a very uncommon thing to happen imo.
She will recover fine, just feed her up with gut-loaded crix dusted with calcium and she should still lay the eggs and regrow her tail, although I suspect she wont have another clutch until her tail has grown back.

Thanks for your help! So should I keep them in the same enclosure?

The entire tail has come/bitten off. The tail could not have gotten caught in the furnishing and it is not anywhere in the enclosure!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your help! So should I keep them in the same enclosure?

Its up to you but if they are getting aggressive then its best to separate.
I recently had to separate my marms as they started fighting non stop, they have been together for over 3 years without an incident but now they hate each other.

Even if you just pick up a cheap tub and turn it into a click clack and place it on a heat mat to house one of your geckos he/she (depending which one you choose to remove) will be fine until the female lays her eggs. Just furnish it and have the necessary requirements for your gecko that way it should stop the female from streesing or this happening again.

- - - Updated - - -

Put the male in the click clack as mad_at_arms said :D

You know what might have happen? One them may have eaten the tail after it was dropped!!! The female may have dropped her tail due to stress from pregnancy, as in pains just before laying. The tail will grow back so long as the wound is kept clean and has the right amount of calcium. Sorry to say this but the tail is most likely never to look as good as it did.

Thanks so much everyone for your help! That is what I was also thinking! How often should I dust her crickets with calcium? Also, they have hardly ever fought before so should I separate them?

It would be easier to monitor the female and her re cooperation if she was alone in a enclosure,

Dust them every 2 days...I think. I have no experience with geckos. Feel free to correct me :)

I dust mine about a min before every time I feed my geckos. Are I would separate them as soon as she has eggs in her ,gravid, because there is no need for the male to be with her after that point. It would be best to separate them anyway because the male may start biting her if he was the one that ate the tail or he mite think he can become the dominant one and show this dominance by biting her wound, making it worse.

Last edited:
Thanks so much everyone for your help! That is what I was also thinking! How often should I dust her crickets with calcium? Also, they have hardly ever fought before so should I separate them?
every 2nd feed dust them

- - - Updated - - -

every 2nd feed dust them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back