Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
choosing not to incubate the eggs is not killing the snake as they are yet to formed into actual animals.
It comes down to what you believe is the right choice for the situation.
Personally i wouldn't incubate them - hence no hybrids if it was me in that situation, problem solved and 'no killed snakes' just undeveloped embyro's.

People will do what ever they like. beauty of being a free world, though i think it funny some states condoned it and other states it's illegal but that's a whole other thread there.

Exactly.
I did not know NSW condoned it. Do they actually condone it? Or are they listed to allow for those that did it before the laws were in place. I hear also that it is not illegal to sell them, only to breed them. True, it is not the (hatched) snakes fault that their parents were placed in a box together even though in nature they would never actually meet. So maybe the authorities are being compasionate toward those that have them only as pets bred before the laws were made.
Again, not Kairanjie's fault but if it is unlawful then do you encourage the practice just because it has happened? Further more as Yommy states, there are no live animals involved yet. No one said let the snakes hatch and then kill them. This could easily happen here in SA because you don't need a permit for one snake so if two people get their snakes together.....then get on APS for advice.....
Take Care.

l owned a Diamond x Coastal more than 20 years ago , it was a beautiful and very large snake . l knew what it was before l got it . Let them breed , let the female incubate the eggs , if they hatch sell them cheaply as x ' s then use the money to buy another enclodure to split them up .

First up; Quote; "A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia", Steve Wilson - Gerry Swan. [ It remains to be demonstrated whether these represent valid ssp. or mere colour variants, but collectively they occupy the most diverse habitats of any Aust. python] end quote.

Want to have some imput on this subject?
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-herps-42/splitter-or-lumper-what-are-you-116168

Now, is this any worse than breeding two brown Carpets from unknown origin? Two Bearded Dragons from unknown origin? What about a stimo from Qld and one from SA? Or two of anything with large distributions of unknown origin?, Just asking the question thats all.....

My personal veiws are that the eggs would make good Blue Tongue food, though this sort of thing happens alot more than most people think, and even if the offspring were sold just as "pets" would their future owner(s) over the snakes 10 - 30 year lifespan decline to breed them? and would their true heritage stay with them for all those years? or even at all?... It's basically the direction the hobby on a whole is heading, esp with Morelia and Antaresia. Herpers start a "Hobby" and Hobbyist's ruin it.... was always going to be the way when $$$ are involved.

pfft lol..... this maybe off topic but other than local and colour can anyone say whats different between the morelia spilota to my knowledge they are all the same by genetic material

if thats the case, then a
liasis mackloti X morelia spilota mcdowelli would be a real hybrid.

so if i was to cross my St george pseudechis australis with my NT pseudechis australis would that be a so called "hybird"... they look completely different

pfft lol..... this maybe off topic but other than local and colour can anyone say whats different between the morelia spilota to my knowledge they are all the same by genetic material

if thats the case, then a
liasis mackloti X morelia spilota mcdowelli would be a real hybrid.

so if i was to cross my St george pseudechis australis with my NT pseudechis australis would that be a so called "hybird"... they look completely different

Other significant differences with Morelia across their diverse range include body size, scale count, breeding patterns and husbandry requirements. Some have considerable differences, some are more closely related.

Gestation is highly varied and can take 30-90 days depending on many external factors. You will usually notice swelling (that may disappear) within 20 days of a successful matting

l owned a Diamond x Coastal more than 20 years ago , it was a beautiful and very large snake . l knew what it was before l got it . Let them breed , let the female incubate the eggs , if they hatch sell them cheaply as x ' s then use the money to buy another enclodure to split them up .

THANKYOU some constructive advice!!!

i apprecitate peoples concern, and let me get it straight this was not done intentionaly, we have only had the coastal for a few weeks, and she was previously housed with a diamond, so until the new enclosure arrives they were put together, and both sellers told us they were probed and female, i was actualy having the diamond probed next week.................bit late now

BUT I simpoly just asked how many days from mating will i start to notice signs of being gravid

p.s i tried to get them apart but was worried about hurting one of them, but the courship has stopped now hopefuly

THIS IS NOT A PLANNED BREEDING PROGRAM N IM NOT TRYING TO HYBRDISE MY SNAKES EITHER JUST NEED TO KNOW IF SHE WILL BE GRAVID AND WEN,

Gestation is highly varied and can take 30-90 days depending on many external factors. You will usually notice swelling (that may disappear) within 20 days of a successful matting

thanks thats all i needed to know not all this flaming hybrid stuff, obviously i know its not right but its to late now, so i can only do my best
thanks again

I only read the first page .....got sick of all the "so called " experts wanting to kill them off......dont take any notice of them. We have all heard the same thing over and over again ....same boring people i would imagine.

your female will shed and lay about 25 days later.....incubate them....or you can use mine . Sell all but a male and female , and in 5 years time you can breed them together and you will get some nice colours. I have some here that i am doing the same with - maybe we could swap and breed ours together. I have cross bred many times. It is not illegal.....not immoral.... all it does is upset all the uneducated on here.

Feel free to PM me with your phone number or i will give you mine. Will gladly chat about it.

So.......now who wants to bag me , eh ? Please leave your phone number and i will gladly ring you also .

dave

I only read the first page .....got sick of all the "so called " experts wanting to kill them off......dont take any notice of them. We have all heard the same thing over and over again ....same boring people i would imagine.

your female will shed and lay about 25 days later.....incubate them....or you can use mine . Sell all but a male and female , and in 5 years time you can breed them together and you will get some nice colours. I have some here that i am doing the same with - maybe we could swap and breed ours together. I have cross bred many times. It is not illegal.....not immoral.... all it does is upset all the uneducated on here.

Feel free to PM me with your phone number or i will give you mine. Will gladly chat about it.

So.......now who wants to bag me , eh ? Please leave your phone number and i will gladly ring you also .

dave

LOL best post all day imo.

dave

thanks!!!! will pm our mob no, would be great to talk to someone whpo has actualy bred these snakes, and swap futher down the track sounds great thats if she is gravid lol

my biggest concern atm is that she had feed only 3 days before mating an i hav heard of snakes dying during breeding from undigested food, and she also shed the day she started mating, is this not normal n should b concerned.
thanks

Just rang DECC.
"Frowned upon but not illegal".
All the best with them, hey post pics and stir the pot some more lol:D;)
If they were mine I still would not let eggs hatch living in SA, but on APS we're everywhere--and that is what it is about.

Hmmm ok first time may have been a mistake, but this person is planning on keeping them together to try again.

well onccei had figured out that they WERE in fact mating they had already done it many of times plus i dont have anywhere to put them if i split them up my new enclosure wont b here for another week, and as i was under the imoression they were both females i didnt realy think about what to do if this happened, so after speakin to many other people i was told the best thing to do now is let them go as its already happened.

look im just as confused as anyone else!!

Everytime something like this pops up its a hybrid debte. How many of these threads are their already! And its pretty presumptious of you reptiledude1 to claim noone here likes hybrids.... I LIKE THEM!
And as far as illegal goes, i hope you people crying this NEVER speed or NEVER litter or have NEVER dranken alcohol underage or NEVER sworn in public......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back