Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakewoman

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a coastal from a pet shop in July last year, the previous owner has neglected the snake, and gave it to the pet shop as it was knocking on death's door. He was very thin, and had burns on him, I'm assuming from a ceramic heater that wasn't covered. The pet shop didn't hold out much hope for him, they had seen snakes in better condition than this one that didn't live, but he pulled through. When he was well enough, he was brought out into the shop with the rest of the snakes and a wildlife park had shown some interest in taking him and using him as a display snake around children. It had been 3 weeks and the shop didn't hear from the park, but didn't have the snake for sale yet.

I asked about it since I hadn't seen it in the shop before. They told me the story, and let me hold him. I really liked him, and they decided to sell him to me for $200. He was my first big snake, and I felt so sorry for him, weighing only 2.1 kilos at 7 feet long. The sex of the snake hadn't been determined when I got him, and since I'd heard him being referred to as a female I called him Xena... it was only a couple of months ago I found out it was male. His name is now Samson. He now weighs 3.4 kilos, eats very well and looks much better. Here is a couple of pics of him, the first is when he was going into his shed cycle 6 months ago, and the other was taken a couple of weeks ago:

Attachments

• Allbetter2.jpg
    Allbetter2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Blue eyes2.jpg
    Blue eyes2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 141
kool bro so how u like havin a big snake?? and cool 2 in the he gets a 2nd go at life

Having a big snake is pretty awesome, they're so strong! Have to be careful, I don't take him out if nobody else is home. He handles really well but if he decided I was food he'd be too strong for me do fight off.

Hi Tahlia. This is great to see and hear.
I've actually met you before. It was nice to see someone on here that I actually have met in person as well.
What else do you have in your collection?

Kudos to you Tahlia for taking him on in the first place, and for getting him to the condition he is now!

I'm pretty sure your efforts will be rewarded with a long and happy life together! :)

Congrats to you both!

Best,
Carolyn

Hi Tahlia. This is great to see and hear.
I've actually met you before. It was nice to see someone on here that I actually have met in person as well.
What else do you have in your collection?

It is good, I haven't met many people on here in person. I have 6 other snakes, I have another coastal which is a nice yellow colour, a Bredli, an Olive python, a water python, a Murray Darling and a Diamond. That's all I can fit in my house at this point.

Kudos to you Tahlia for taking him on in the first place, and for getting him to the condition he is now!

I'm pretty sure your efforts will be rewarded with a long and happy life together! :)

Congrats to you both!

Best,
Carolyn

Thank you, He'll have a comfortable life now, I'm so glad he didn't die, he's a lovely animal, never once threatened to bite me :)

Haha nice. I'm very lucky to have ALOT of space in the house I live in actually =] But it only makes me want more. I want land. Lots of land. I want alot of things. But mainly a Diamond. You make me jealous there. Haha. How do you go with the Water Python? And how big is you'r Olive? And what sex is your Bredli? Sorry- 20 questions!

I'd love to have heaps of space to put more snakes :) My water python is very little, not sure how old she is. I was put off them for a while because I was told by a lot of people that they're psychopaths. I saw one in a shop one day and asked to hold it. She had a go at the guy when he was getting her out, but once she was in my hands she settled down and was very laid back, so I bought her. For the first couple of weeks she would have a go at me when I got her out, but she doesn't do it anymore.

My Olive is a bit under 4ft, and he's just gorgeous. He has a wonderful temperament and is very active, he's always slithering around the enclosure exploring. My Bredli is female, I've had her since she was 8 weeks old, she's the only snake I have that's a bit touchy. She's settled down a lot but she's still a bit jumpy. Here's some pics of them:

Attachments

• Micah rock.jpg
    Micah rock.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 59
  • Water2.jpg
    Water2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Water8.jpg
    Water8.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Head8.jpg
    Head8.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Full body2.jpg
    Full body2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Head shot2.jpg
    Head shot2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Diamond21.jpg
    Diamond21.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Diamond20.jpg
    Diamond20.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 55
Great collection Tahlia and well done for getting the Coastal back on track!

Thank you Jimwetherall. I've been collecting different pythons for a while, rough scaled pythons are nice, can't get one until I move out, need more room :)

Where did you get that Olive Tahlia? It's a cracker! And also, which pet shop did you deal with...?

Well done on taking him in and giving a life worth living and getting him up to par ;)

:eek: VERY nice collection you have there Miss Tahlia! :D
I like. I like.
I'm deff with you on the Rough Scaleds! Can't wait to own a couple/trio of them.

Congratulations on a job well done Tahlia, looks like a nice big healthy boy now. Do you have any pics of him when you 1st got him?

Seems to be a few that are waiting to get RSP...I love 'em & can;t wait to get them on day.

Thanks everyone :)

Where did you get that Olive Tahlia? It's a cracker! And also, which pet shop did you deal with...?

I got the Olive from Best Friends, I'd seen him in there a couple of times, and I went in there to get something one day and asked to hold him. I put a deposit on him that day and brought him home the next :) He's super placid and hardly stops moving. I got my coastal from Reef and River.

Congratulations on a job well done Tahlia, looks like a nice big healthy boy now. Do you have any pics of him when you 1st got him?

Thank you :) Here's a couple from when I brought him home:

Attachments

• Full body shot.jpg
    Full body shot.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Xena 15.jpg
    Xena 15.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 43
Ah k, I remember seeing the Olive hatchies they had in there a while ago, they were all really nice!
Good work on bringing the coastal back to health, too.

Can I ask how much you paid for the Olive?
I swear that might have been the one that the boy and I had our eyes on but couldn't justify the price.
He is gorgeous. Best colour. Good purchase!
I love my/our girl though. We paid 4 for her and she is..... just.... just... SO amazing. N' growing SO fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back