Green Tree Froggy!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss B

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, well, not me exactly! My partner found this Litoria caerulea on the driveway last night, became quite smitten by the cute comical appearance and decided to keep him/her. We've never kept frogs before... anyone got pics of their GTF setups? I'm looking for inspiration 8)

Oh, by the way - it is about 7 or 8 centimetres long... how do we know if it's a male or female? I found an audio clip of L. caerulea croaking and played it to the frog last night, but it didn't croak back. Does this mean it's female?

Froggy3.jpg

Froggy11.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think QLD's are allowed to keep GTF's.? Although I would like to.

Find out before you do miss B, she's gorgeous :D

Cheers
Trouble

It's illegal to keep wild frogs if you have a reptile and amphibian license.

yes its illegal to take reptiles and amphibians from the wild in qld.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think QLD's are allowed to keep GTF's.? Although I would like to.

Find out before you do miss B, she's gorgeous :D

Cheers
Trouble

if you have a licence you can buy GTF's

I'm pretty sure that if you don't have a licence (which my partner doesn't) then you are allowed to keep up to 2 adults from each of 4 species (a maximum of 8 wild frogs) for your own 'personal enjoyment'. They must be found on your own property, remain on your property, cannot be sold or given away, and if they breed all offspring must be released back onto the property in which the adults were found within 7 days of morphing.

Can someone please confirm if this is correct?

Yes but YOU have a license and you live in the same household.

So? My partner doesn't have a licence. As far as I am aware it doesn't matter that we live in the same household.

Its hardly 'crime of the century' stuff.
I think your 'loophole' for the high court proceedings should be enough if you have a good QC, Miss B.
Cheers
Adam

yea, chances are you wont get into much truoble if you did get caught but the bottom line is its illegal. Doesnt matter that your hubby doesnt have a licence, there is a licence issued for your address. Also are you still allowed to take a limited number of frogs? I know there was a similar rule with reptiles but that phased out a few years ago. Your best letting it go and buying a couple of CB froglets

I think it is legal, but for $10 or so you could get a captive bred animal that would be much better adjusted to being kept in a cage. Why not put a pond in so they can just live and breed in your yard(assuming you have a yard)

Well, I just phoned the EPA to check with them and what we have done is perfectly legal.

The fact that he lives at the same address as I do is irrelevant. He does not have a licence and therefore is permitted to keep up to 2 adult Green Tree Frogs for his own personal enjoyment. If I wanted any frogs myself (which I don't), I would have to purchase them from a licenced keeper.

Yup, I've got it in writing from them that an unlicenced person living at the same adress as a licenced person can keep frogs from the yard.
The point of the law being worded the way it is is to stop people from taking frogs off-licence and selling them on-licence. But as Miss B does not even have frogs on-licence, this would be a bit hard to accomplish. Also, once again, the law makers lost sight of the fact that criminals break the laws anyway.

Thanks Mags. I thought that was the case. I wouldn't have let him take the frog from the front yard in the first place if I thought it was illegal to do so. I don't keep frogs myself, although the lady from the EPA did mention that if I kept frogs on-licence, and my partner kept frogs off-licence - that they mustn't be allowed to come into contact with one another.

Sooooo, if we could get back to my original questions, that would be great.

Lol Adam. I'm going to be a total blonde here and admit that I have no idea what 'QC' stands for :lol:

This is my frog: FROGGLES

Hes the frog prince.. and he quite enjoys photo sessions...:lol:

Attachments

• froggles 2.jpg
    froggles 2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 76
  • froggles.jpg
    froggles.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 66
http://frogs.org.au/community/

This is the site that has a forum and heaps of information on frogs like what plants you can use, plus lots of people post pics of their set ups. Once Ray puts his snakes in their new enclosures I will have a turtle tank to set up for frogs.

Ray's sister found a couple of gtf's mating in the horse trough the other day - she brought them back to the house to show me and then back again to the horse trough without them separating! Except she wouldn't let me keep them :(

It looks like a female to me, a mature male that has been croaking often has a darker, saggy throat due the expansion of the skin. Playing the recording doesn't guarantee it either, but at this stage I would say female.

You can find heaps of set ups on the frogs.org.au community as well, plus the best care sheet around.

Yes check out fogs.org.au lots of info about froggies, good luck with him/her ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back