Green Tree Monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Rock

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone could please tell me some info about the Green Tree Monitor (varanus prasinus). Was looking through an aussie reptile book and found an amazing picture of this little dude. Anyone have one? Are they hard to keep? What are they worth?
Cheers,
Brock
Found some pictures for those that don't know about them either. Don't they look amazing.

Note: The one on the hand is a baby, thats not the size of them

Attachments

• e green tree monitor baby 11-05 1.jpg
    e green tree monitor baby 11-05 1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 375
  • greentree.gif
    greentree.gif
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,592
I've never heard of them in captivity but someone may have other ideas (at least not in private hands). From what I can recall their range is limited to New Guinea and an island off the Australian mainland. This is just from memory but as I said, someone may be able to help you further.

yeah i have read that there are only on a few islands on the tip of Aust, but are all through PNG and Torres Strait. But that doesn't mean anything as the GTP is restricted to a small area as well, and they are still available from breeders. Personal opinion but i think these beauties are the GTP of monitors. (don't want to cause an argument over that though). Anyone got any more info?

GTP's are found on the mainland.... these guys are not.....

do a search on this site it has all been covered before.....

if nothing comes up in the search for green tree monitor, search their other common name emerald monitor....

Peter Johnson is your best bet at finding one, but he probably wouldn't tell you if he had some, because he was after some and would go to the end of the w orld to get it :)

Kane

From what I've read on US sites and articles they are also quite hard to keep. Imagine keeping a GTP but also having to provide a high degree of cage security (i.e. hidey holes)

wow, thats so pretty!

good luck with ur search!!

Yeah thats what i have read. I was just wondering if anyone had one or new someone that did. Anyone know roughly how much these little beauties are worth?
I could not afford one anyway, just curious.

I think price wise it's a 'how long is a piece of string' kind of question. IF you could find a legal one in this country it would be well into the 1000's.

Range of Green Tree Monitor (Varanus prasinus) or emerald monitor is amongst the canopy of dense tropical forests in New Guinea, and ITS surrounding islands (ITS CLASSIFIED AS AN EXOTIC). It never leaves the canopy except to lay eggs in termite nests or leaf litter.

oh and to buy one http://www.prismworldexotics.com/Home.html and its not cheap, not to mention the fact you can't bring it into the country. Its cheaper, though just as beautiful blue cousin retails at US$900.

Is this the same monitor Steve and Terry Irwin researched, bred in captivity and then released back into the wild?? Or am I thinkikng or something different?

According to Harald Ehman in Encyclopaedia of Australian Reptiles they have the same distribution as chondros and therefore are not exotic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back