Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edan2000

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Finally I have received my beautiful Murray Darling Carpet! Yay! It is one cute critter with beautiful markings including a stripes down the lower body which I suspect is unusual for a Murray Darling.

Some more advice would be appreciated.

Should its hide box be partially over the heat mat for warmth or will this fry the snake?

side that snake is happy, curious and active!

Cheers,

Edan

:)

Congrats! :eek:

If it was me, I'd NOT put the hide box over the heat source.

If it gets too hot in there, and it's feeling insecure, it has nowhere to hide.

If it's NOT over the heat mat, it can still venture out of its hide box to warm up and retreat again afterwards if nervous.

That's how I do it, anyway! :wink:

Congrats!
If you only have one hide, stick it half over the heat, and half not, but better yet, get a couple of hides going so your new little darling (pun intended) can chose for him/herself. :)

Don't forget to post pics and tell us darling's name soon! :)

Well done Edan

getting new snakes is a real buzz. How big is the enclosure, Nicole's idea id definately the best solution if you have the space. The more places there are to hide with a variety of temps the better it is. :D

Congrats on the new snake....MDs are very attractive snakes I think. We need phots posted now :lol:

Agree with Nic two hides one hot and one cold.

Fangs uses a good idea of half a coconut (thats cheap and you can eat it)with a little half door cut out. Also it maks a rough surface that the snake can rub against to shed on. A single coconut makes 2 hides quite easily and costs bugger all and therefore you can have hot and cool hides!

Cheers Hawkeye

Congratulations :!: :!:
I recently got my first snake about 2 weeks ago (coastal carpet(proserpine)).I think I had four hides in there (left overs from my lizards) but now only have one because he hasn't used any since the first day i got him. He spends all day curled up on his branches, and comes down at night. He actually refuses to the use hide box and heads straight for his branches.
Cheers Simon.

Congrats on the new aquisition!! :D Inland carpets are beutiful animals, I'm not sure if many people would agree, but I think that a nice Murray Darling's on par with a nice Diamond python, sometimes better..well I think my little Inland is anyway. :wink: :)

:) Congrats Edan, I?ll pick mine up on the weekend. (Hopefully)
Where did you get it? Might be the same place!
As far as hide goes, two is definitely the go. I still would measure the temp inside the one on hot end, as they can get very hot, and you might have to put in some sort of buffer to keep it at the right temp. Or use a thermostat.
Cheers :)

I have always put the hide over the heat matt for my hatchies. I figure the opposite of David, if it gets too hot, it can go down the cool end and even go for a soak if it wants. The water should definately be down the cool end though. However, if I have a spare coffee lid, I put two hides in. They are always moving them around anyway. :D

Hey Vat, I do agree with you, Murray Darlings are beautiful, he he
Always was my second favourite, after Diamonds, that why I should be the proud owner of one by the weekend. I?ve been waiting now three weeks and it?s killing me.
Hope nothing goes wrong. :p

Congrats o n the new snake buddy :) I personally like a lot of hides in my enclosures. The snakes can choose their preferred hide and if they don't want to use one at all they can lie around on top instead :)

Congratulations Edan :p

I would give him/her two hides if you got enough room,one hot one cool.
If thats not possible,have the hide partly over heat mat.

And thanx Hawks :| i do have to admit the coconuts are a good idea.
Actually for the first time i saw my maccie shedding last night :D and she was rubbing against the coconut.

Cheers P..

I like the coconut Idea. She has one real hide and I stuck a tube over the hot area incase but she stays in the cool area. Yep she is a darling. Still debating on the name. Nikita and Amber seem to be the winners so far.

She is absolutely gorgeous with beautiful markings and a great temperament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back