Grrr, ignorant people... debate about gay marriage

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mods really should close this
Im here for snakes not to read about gay people and what they can and cant do

Jeanine, in this thread, nobody said you have to change your opinion! Also, nobody is trying to force their views on gays down your throat, people are simply calling for fairness. You somehow managed to read things that weren't even there.

Metalboy: this is the chit chat section of the forum which has nothing to do with snakes. If you don't want to read about this why did you click on the thread? Also, threads on here aren't going to be closed just because you don't like the topic. Nobody is forcing you to read it so if you don't like it stay away... seems pretty simple to me.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't read it all....too long winded for me....and I think the so called "debate" is something for each individual to decide. There will always be people for it, and always some against it. I'm hetrosexual, very happily married and that's all I care about really....

Wow, that's an incredibly self-centred attitude to have. So basically because you have some right, you don't care about equality and others having that right?

I don't think it's right to call people stupid because they don't agree with gay marriage (I hate the word .. gay) or homosexuals. Everyone is entitled to believe what they want, and if one party doesn't agree with another that doesn't make either party stupid, it just means they have differing views and to each they have valid views.

Wait, what?!?! Do you even realise what you're saying?
I have every right to call someone a stupid, bigoted f-wit because they're against gay marriage and/or GLBT people.

Was Hitler entitled to believe what he wanted too? Should we respect his urge to gas / kill Jews?
Should we respect racists, sexists, homophobes, and so forth?

You really aren't making any sense, except to excuse bigoted opinions just because they're 'different'. Seriously, think about what you
are saying.

The others here worrying about people with a "gay agenda" (whatever the hell that means) "pushing" their view on others are just as deluded.
It's about EQUALITY, nothing more. Going by your deluded, bigoted logic, there's no such thing as an overall, overarching secular moral consensus in society,
and that it would be "wrong" for someone to attempt to persuade others that Hitler was a racist, totalitarian, dictator, etc.

You're basically attacking gay rights, women's suffrage and several other causes in one hit. Instead of acknowledging a need for equality, we should accuse the other side of fanatical preaching, right?

If that's so, let's reverse women's right to vote, let's go back to slavery (because anyone speaking up against slavery is clearly "pushing" their agenda on others, right?!?).
Let's reverse the moral progresses of Western civilisation by centuries.

Or, the alternate is, formulate a complete, coherent EDUCATED argument. All I've read thus far is bigotry. Nothing more.

The hilarious irony of the situation is that the agenda pushing in fact comes from the other side -- right-wing religious zealots.

Last edited:
You may well find that not only believers don't agree with homosexual issues....you can't blame everything on god believers....

Actually Annie... I'd like to find ANY non god-botherer who would actually say they care enough to be anti same sex marriages.

I know A LOAD of homophobic males (and females) and they ALL say the same thing - so long they keep it to themselves, what do I care...

I'm very hetero (not very metro) and I fall in to the catewgory of supporting civil unions 100%!

Australia is a backward country that fails to recognise a relationship because of old 'church' laws.

Queensland still has homophobic laws - a person under the age of 18 may not have (a) intercourse (not sure I'm allowed to write the type of sex they're not allowed, so you get the idea). Yet consensual sex age is 16!

So why would that be the case???

Backward law... Backward country....

I've never really understood why people have this burning desire to go through this religious-based ceremony, or are so desperate to have it recognized and accepted by the church anyway. Surely a celebrant wedding would suffice? The only hurdle should be that the certificate is then recognized by Australian law.

It is about them being viewed as equal.
Sure what your saying would probably surffice for some people, but really, should they be forced to settle for that, and still be put in a box because of their sexuality?

What is it that all these people who are against gay marriage really afraid of??

I have a gay friends/family. Some of whom are married (in the UK) and all they want is the country that they were born and raised in to accept them as a married couple who love each other, so their aus family and friends who couldn't make it OS can be there to witness and celebrate their commitment to one and other. What is wrong with that???

I support the separation of church and state.

This isn't a church issue it's a human rights issue.

Not too long ago they refused to give indigenous Australians and women voting rights.
Indigenous children were forcibly removed from their mothers and placed into church run institutions.

Women where still seen as chattels and a husband could get away with spousal rape.

We look back at these events now and see them as the the human rights violations and criminal acts that they are.

In the future, history will look back on the gay rights deniers and judge you just as harshly.

"I refuse to recognise the terms hetero, bi and homosexual. Everybody has exactly the same sexual needs. People are just sexual,the prefix is immaterial." Morrissey.

Everyone is entitled to believe what they want, and if one party doesn't agree with another that doesn't make either party stupid, it just means they have differing views and to each they have valid views.

Hitler's' views on jews weren't evil, they were just different.

Ted Bundy's views on women weren't sadistic or wrong, they were just different.

Pol Pots' views on the Cambodian people weren't genocidal, just different.

.... Can't you see how nonsensical and dangerous this sort of extreme relativism is? All this sort of thinking does is free the thinker from the difficulties of acknowledging their own prejudices.

Last edited:
What an excellent post SYNeR - you've covered ALL bases perfectly. I have noted other posts by ga that push the totally passive line. It would be fine if everyone was as passive as she wants to be, but that's not the case of course... There are pressures applied from all sides in any major philosophical debate, and sometimes a bit of "push back" is necessary to even maintain the status quo against the forces which manipulate public opinion.

I don't give a damn about the actual issue of gay marriage itself (why would you want access to a convention which is so prone to spectacular and expensive failure :)), but the issue of equality for all citizens is what I'm interested in, as it should be for all right-thinking people, and the right to marry who you want is fundamental to that.

You can be totally passive, as grannieannie promotes, and have the world changed around you by those with agendas (which may or may not be hidden), or you can get out and fight for your rights, and those of others - at the end of the day, any wins on the rights front will touch us all in beneficial ways as time goes on. As long as we understand that with rights come responsibilities...

Once again SYNeR, congrats on an excellent post...

Jamie

This went until about 1:00 in the morning and started again early this morning. The people I'm debating with may not listen, but I know plenty of people on my mother's friends list and on mine are watching with interest, so at least some of them might pay attention. At this point it's more amusing than anything else due to the poor logic being used by the christians.

Gay debate9 by TahliaH, on Flickr

Gay debate9 by TahliaH, on Flickr

Gay debate11 by TahliaH, on Flickr

Gay debate12 by TahliaH, on Flickr

Gay debate13 by TahliaH, on Flickr

Gay debate14 by TahliaH, on Flickr

The bottom line is the government is very happy to accept Australian gay peoples tax dollars and yet they are not given the same rights as every other Australian citizen enjoys.

Equality for all Australians.

Personally, I always move cautiously out of frame when confronted with god botherers. Gays have a much better sense of humor!

no matter where i ever look at whatever argument i look at it seems that everyone elses argument is ignorant or stupid. im not saying i agree or disagree with anything simply pointing out something

no matter where i ever look at whatever argument i look at it seems that everyone elses argument is ignorant or stupid. im not saying i agree or disagree with anything simply pointing out something

I agree! So.... Each to their own! Everyone equal to choose to do as they please, as long as know one is being hurt, there should be no argument!!!

Good on you for fighting the valiant fight, Tahlia. Judging by some of the comments, I doubt you'll change the minds of the people who are arguing with you. They can't see the fallacies in their arguments because in their minds they have the highest authority on their side. The highest authority is infallible and to question it is un-Christian. Very frustrating, but with luck you might reach some of your silent audience.

actually the same could be said for the reversed situation that it becomes a problem when the gay community push their views onto everyone else

Jeannine, I'm certainly not going to abuse you for holding a different opinion - unless you consider my questioning it abuse - but I don't understand what makes the opinion so powerful that it should repress a minority group.

Gays aren't pushing their views on everyone else. They're not trying to convert you to homosexuality. All they're asking for is equality, which is what this issue is all about. It comes down to human rights. Why does two people getting married have any effect on you or anyone else? It's Sunday today. All over the country today, people are getting married. It doesn't affect my life one iota. Why would it be any different if the couples were the same sex?

Crystal_Discus, I honestly hope it doesn't take another 20 years for gay marriage to be written in law. That would be downright depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back