Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skittles-1994

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on my current situation! A few months ago I purchased a 2.5yr old male south west carpet from someone who had handraised him but no longer had the time and space to care for him. So basically he'd neglected him and the snake went a bit feral -the seller was clear on this- I had alot of time on my hands so after a lot of research I foolishly thought I could handle trying to retrain him myself. I was a fool! I have been catering to his needs and constantly attempting to handle him (obviously not for about 48 hours after feeding) but after months he's just as grumpy and aggressive. :(
I've asked alot of people who say just keep handling but the moment I touch him with a hand or the snake hook he either coils and hisses/strikes and then slithers into his cave or just hisses and runs away (surprisingly fast...)
I don't really know what to do with him as it's been my dream since I was a tiny kid to have a snake but I don't like just having him as an ornament and I don't really see myself being able to resell him to a good home with his attitude problem.
Does anyone have any advice for me?
Yes I realise I was a bit silly and thanks in advance for anyone trying to help my sorry butt!

Last edited:
Keep it as an ornamental snake. And start again with a hatchling for a snake that you can kiss and cuddle. Again and again we see people get in over their heads. The best way to start with snakes is to get a hatchling and your handling skills will grow as the snake grows.
Personally some of my most favorite pythons are
chainnsaws. I just like the personality and like that they can't be handled by noobs.

I had a fairly cranky BHP a few years ago, so I only used to handle him first thing in the morning, when he was cooler, he had a slower reaction and it was slightly easier to evade his teeth.... After a few months of this, he relaxed up a bit and I started to handle him when he was a bit warmer and he seemed to settle... Still would like to have a shot at me every now and then but not as often....

I have nowhere the experience of the the members who posted to your reply above, but my snake was very snappy when I got it, even tho I was told the snake was used to being handled when I purchased it.

Putting my hand into it's tank was a bit like putting it into a blender with teeth and the snake hook only seemed to make things worse, so I used the pillow case method and this has seemed to work a lot better than anything else I have tried.

I always thought that hissing was a sign of anger but now if my pet hisses, it does not always mean there is a bite to follow 90% of the time now I can pick my snake up without paying the price,just try and stick with for awhile longer skittles -1994

Glad to hear someone's conquered their bitey snake, I've got a little more hope now haha. :) By pillowcase method do you mean putting the pillowcase in with them or holding them in one?

I have thought of that but he tends to hide in his hole for awhile so when he comes out it's already warmish and he moves incredibly fast! :p
sd1981

Some snakes are like this, regardless of what you try and do. Ask around and see if you can swap with a breeder - they don't usually want to handle their animals so aggro doesn't matter to them.

Jamie

I always thought that hissing was a sign of anger but now if my pet hisses, it does not always mean there is a bite to follow
For some it's just all 'puff'. Care for a couple that hiss quite loudly if anyone comes near me while I'm holding them.... Never any tension or follow up....makes me laugh everytime, just love them all the more for it.

:D

Over here in WA I haven't been able to find many breeders but that is a good idea, I'll definitely look into that further, thank you!

That's awesome! I'd love to give breeding them a shot sometime in the distant future. :p
I don't suppose you have any hatchies at the moment? I'd like to take your advice and try my hand at raising a hatchling I can kiss and cuddle. :)

That's awesome! I'd love to give breeding them a shot sometime in the distant future. :p
I don't suppose you have any hatchies at the moment? I'd like to take your advice and try my hand at raising a hatchling I can kiss and cuddle. :)
Sure do. Send me a pm. Just make sure you have a click clack sorted out. Hatchies don't like big enclosures.

I bought one of Snowman's hatchies from this season... can personally vouch for their natures (mine has not struck since I bought it and does not get defensive when the click clack lid comes off either)... and they're nice looking hatchies too.

Keep it as an ornamental snake. And start again with a hatchling for a snake that you can kiss and cuddle. Again and again we see people get in over their heads. The best way to start with snakes is to get a hatchling and your handling skills will grow as the snake grows.
Personally some of my most favorite pythons are
chainnsaws. I just like the personality and like that they can't be handled by noobs.

I agree with this completely.

First snake I take it? You will probably find part of the problem is that the snake is picking up on your lack of confidence. The pillow case method is when you put a pillow case over each hand to get hold of the snake and once they settle down you can slip them off first one hand and then the other. The pillow case masks your heat signature and poses less of a threat to the snake. Also make sure you aren't reaching down at him but rather come from the front and slightly lower than where he is perched if possible.

Getting tagged is part of the package deal so you have to get used to it a bit and be grateful when it doesn't happen. :lol:

Sometimes you just get a snake that is psycho lol. I would be terrified of a snake like this due to the size it will grow into but if you don't mind it just keep it as an ornamental snake. If not then I am sure there would be some breeders that would be happy to take it on if you were to sell it.
Best of luck either way.

Put a pic up... if it's ridiculously, ridiculously good looking, i'll buy it haha

So Skittles, What about a follow up on this thread, did you end up doing a deal with Andy ?? if so where are the pics of your new snake ?? and is kissing and cuddling a snake all you hoped it would be ?? lol sorry just my warped sense of humour, i have heard Andy's SWCP's are very nice ...................Pics Pics Pics :) ....................................Ron

Apologies all, I haven't checked on the thread (and didn't think it had that much interest :p)
As for an update - I ended up enlisting the help of Caring for Reptiles in Busselton, who had a play with him and gave me heaps of confidence building exercises and constructive criticism and (I'm embarrassed to say) it was more a case of perception - the previous owner made him out to be a snappy beast and so that was how I interpreted his movements. He is a brilliant, calm little guy and I'm so glad I found someone to show me that!

(And kissing and cuddling with the snake is all I imagined and more ^_^ no dirty puns intended.)

Although I didn't end up picking up one of Snowmans no doubt stunning hatchies, I'll still post a couple pictures ;)

- - - Updated - - -

2013-09-11_16-32-44_545.jpg2013-08-05_15-02-56_340.jpg

Feel free to share some of the exercises and stuff, I'm sure more than a few people will benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back