GTP fibreglass enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RHAus

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Hope this is allowed APS.

I'm looking into making fibreglass enclosures silky smooth finish inside and out, water proof and so on,
What i'm after is some feed back from breeders and people that keep them. What they would like?

EG: size, shape what heating, lighting.

Cheers Guys

[MENTION=34534]andynic07[/MENTION] [MENTION=1228]Pythoninfinite[/MENTION] Any ideas? :)

I only keep one so I might not be the best person to ask and I also like bigger than needed enclosures. I would like at least 3 feet long with the heat/light source down one end (horizontal gradient) at least two perch mounting spots and vents. As for the type of heating that would depend on what location that you lived in as to what requirements that you have. I use a CHE that is set up on a thermostat for about 26 degrees and then I have a light/heat that is on a timer to come on at set times that produces my hot spot during the day (not on a thermostat) . Saying that this is the only setup that I know of that works like this. My enclosure is 4 foot L x 4 foot H and two feet D but you do not require this size either. Greg Maxwell (the complete chondro) recommends 3 foot L x 2 foot W x 2 foot D as a minimum size.
y6asuvyp.jpg
this is a picture of my setup for an idea, it is made from timber but has a product called glass coat on the inside to waterproof and has many different sized branches for climbing and the fake plants are mounted with little electrical saddles so they can be removed for cleaning.

View attachment 313108View attachment 313108 I have all ready done this with mine i made a two part mould an join the two they are 1200x600x600 you have to make recesses in the mould for your power to go through an air vents i use cabinet plug covers for electrical cables to go through used 30mm king board for track for glass

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 313108View attachment 313108 I have all ready done this with mine i made a two part mould an join the two they are 1200x600x600 you have to make recesses in the mould for your power to go through an air vents i use cabinet plug covers for electrical cables to go through used 30mm king board for track for glass
an used pvc compressed plastic to divide them.

I had the same idea years ago, and made a series of beautifully finished plugs and a few enclosure carcasses, but decided that they were too time consuming to do with hand layup, and there would be no profit in it if time was a part of the costing. The fibreglass skin doesn't insulate very well, so you're left with the issue of insulating the shell and then finishing it to an acceptable appearance for use in the house.

These days the lightweight foamed PVC board would be the way to go - waterproof, about 70% of the weight of particleboard, and very easy to work with at 16mm. It's about 3x the cost of particleboard, but will last forever in the humid environments some of these tropical herps need. Available from Nover outlets.

Jamie

I have 20 -30 celuka cages in storage if any GTP breeders are interested ranging from 2x2x2 to 4x2x2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back