Guess the snake.....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Kingfishers over in Borneo are nothing short of mindblowing, all sizes and all colours, bright red ones were amazing, though I only managed 1 crappy pic as I never had the right lense on when I found them.
w-1.jpg

Saw a couple of Malay Civets, but again always had the wrong lense and camera / flash setting when I chanced upon them.... A group at Danum Valley went out on a night tour and witnessed and filmed one catching , killing and eating a Spitting Cobra... I went out the night after and only found an Owl :(.
ww-1.jpg

great pics mate
You must have had a ball over there
makes me want a holiday even more now thanks for sharing

Wow great photos Jason, I'll have to visit northern Borneo someday - preferably for a holiday and not for work! Are you going to put up the frog pics or will they be in your AHS presentation?

Aaron

Welcome back Jason, I am envious about the Blood python. The locals at Danum have seen them few times crossing the track opposite the orchid trail. I offered 100 MR for a live specimen, the hunt was on but no results while we were there. They are savage buggers, aren't they (I mean the Bloods, not the locals).

Nice shots mate, I didn't see too many snakes when I was there on Honeymoon, but if I spent more time out searching than with the misses I don't think i woulda come home married lol..

Did you see any paradise tree snakes?

Welcome back Jason, I am envious about the Blood python. The locals at Danum have seen them few times crossing the track opposite the orchid trail. I offered 100 MR for a live specimen, the hunt was on but no results while we were there. They are savage buggers, aren't they (I mean the Bloods, not the locals).

I thought of you as soon as we found it as I remembered what you had emailed me.... I spoke to an experienced guide at the Kinabatangan River and he said they are far more common in the plantations than the forests and was very suprised we found one on the property, and more suprised by it's size as he had only found much smaller ones, the Kinabatangan is basically plantation anyway so I was suprised he didn't get more of them in his jungle patch.... yes, I was well aware of their reputation so gave it a log to chew on whilst I grabbed it, it was much more of a handfull than the Retic, thick body and small head, it was trying to pull it's head through badly, though settled down to become docile after about 5 minutes.

Nice shots mate, I didn't see too many snakes when I was there on Honeymoon, but if I spent more time out searching than with the misses I don't think i woulda come home married lol..

Did you see any paradise tree snakes?

No Paradise Tree's sadly, though I did find the closely related Golden Tree Snake on a trip to Thailand 2 years back.
All up we found 9 species of snake ( 2 DOR), and 11 snakes in total, about dozen amphibians, 6 odd species a agamid, 2 species of Monitor and half a dozen skink species.. there is something to take a photo of around every bend...

Without putting my thinking cap on....the first might be Naja sumatrana, the second is of course Broghammerus (Python) reticulatus. The only thing about the first that throws me is that it's a little lighter bodied than most wild N. sumatrana I've seen. Hmmmm.....

Here you go Aaron, a frog just for you ;)... Danum Valley was as dry as Central Australia whilst I was there, not many frogs at all, they made me work hard for every one... I could of added another half dozen species of frog to the list if I went after every call but I was just too tired to try super hard..
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-1.jpg

Cool frog Jason, is that a species of Kaloula? And its always worth it to go chasing any frog call in the bush, no matter how hard it seems :lol:

Looks like you had an awesome trip. Borneo is a very exciting place to herp! Actually SE Asia in general is totally mind blowing in its diversity. I had planned to spend the next few years seeing more of Australia but all your photos are making me itch for that part of the world again. Too many places to go, too many animals to see, too little time and way too little money! Looks like you had a great trip for the mammals too and I'm impressed that you got photos at all of the civets to be honest, I've seen a lot of palm civets but never photographed one in the wild (I did have the pleasure of five handraised babies at work in Singapore for a time, but that's another story).

I've never seen a blood python in the wild either, so I am very envious of that one. I think I may have to attend your AHS talk.

thats wicked jase!! how long were you there for?

It's a male Metaphrynella sundana (Tree Hole Frog). I will be doing a talk on this trip at the next McHerps meeting on Friday if anyone is keen to see all the photos.

Hello Jason,

I just went through this thread. Wow, what a trip. Rhinocerus Hornbills are fantastic birds, aren't they? Did you put together a list of your sightings? If so, I would love to see it. What areas did you visit? Danum? Mt. Kinabalu/Poring?

Great stuff. It would be nice to see a dedicated thread with all of your pics.

Regards,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back