Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
iamheretic - I've never owned a water python, but imo I reckon a 10L tub would suit a water python hatchie okay (correct me if I'm wrong please)
Mitchie - You wont need a light or ceramic heater of a night time with a 24hr heat mat. It will be enough when the jungle is perching. They need an area to get away from the heat, so you don't want to heat it up too much.

thanks for showing me this seems alot better than the take away container the pet shop sugested and is your snake in the toilet roll thanks again:)

Do you have to put a hatchy in a click-clack, or could you put one straight into the adult enclosure?

Do you have to put a hatchy in a click-clack, or could you put one straight into the adult enclosure?

You could, if you provide several places to hide like plants and hides for privacy etc. Young pythons get stressed if they are out in the open. Stress often equals not eating.

The other problem with large enclosures, is that its sometimes hard to find a hatchy in one.
And they are so tiny, that escape may be easier in enclosures because of un-noticed gaps, holes etc. You would be surprised at how easily they can squeeze through places you would not have thought they could.

We always prefer to keep them in tubs until they get a little older and bigger.

Thought I would add a picture of my click clack... I am a little paranoid about him escaping hence the text books & multiple locks... Hope he likes it, only 2 more sleeps till he arrives. And thanks BTW for the awesome thread! Helped heaps!

Attachments

• IMG_20110222_212916.jpg
    IMG_20110222_212916.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 741
lol

Thought I would add a picture of my click clack... I am a little paranoid about him escaping hence the text books & multiple locks... Hope he likes it, only 2 more sleeps till he arrives. And thanks BTW for the awesome thread! Helped heaps!

hahaha a bit toooo paranoid in my opinion. but better safe than sorry. I just use tubs with clasps.

This is really useful... im looking to get a coastal hatchie, would the size you recomend work or would it be too small since im hoping to make it last at least a year...

This is really useful... im looking to get a coastal hatchie, would the size you recomend work or would it be too small since im hoping to make it last at least a year...

I would use a 7ltr container till its around 4-6 month old then put it in a 20ltr container till its around 12-18months old
There cheap to make so just upgrade it as the snake needs it as you don't want the container too big otherwise it may stress the snake out

Nice work :)
If I get my hatchling JP I will be attempting to make one tomorrow.
Haha, will post pictures if it works.

Nice work :)
If I get my hatchling JP I will be attempting to make one tomorrow.
Haha, will post pictures if it works.

Wouldn't you make the container and have it setup and temps tested before you get a snake

Personally I would

I set mine up a week before I get a snake make sure its all good and working properly

Newbie with a lighting question:

From what I've read on this thread, the thinking seems to be that it's okay to use ambient lighting with a click clack until the snake is over 12 months old. Can someone please confirm this?

(Planning to get a bredli in a few months.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the Guide!! I was setting up click clacks today this will help me out alot. Love the frame idea!

Newbie with a lighting question:

From what I've read on this thread, the thinking seems to be that it's okay to use ambient lighting with a click clack until the snake is over 12 months old. Can someone please confirm this?

(Planning to get a bredli in a few months.)

as long as they have some idea that its day or night they will be fine. People use globes in larger enclosures for dual purpose heating and lighting. Personally i dont like seeing snakes in 'click clacks' past the age of 6mths. I like them to be able to see the world around them clearly, not just passing blurs. just my opinion

This is awesome wish i had seen this a week ago, just got two hatchies have done the soldering iron thing in the same tub but didnt think of the dowel, was wondering how to make it more interesting for them, thanks so much. You have inspired me lol

This is awesome wish i had seen this a week ago, just got two hatchies have done the soldering iron thing in the same tub but didnt think of the dowel, was wondering how to make it more interesting for them, thanks so much. You have inspired me lol

You can use plastic garden fencing type mesh in the tub. I'm sure it has a proper name but I don't know what it is.

Its a plastic coated square pliable material, available from the hardware/Bunnings etc.
You can put in in the tub so it sits up enough for your python to perch on.

Thanks for the guide as well as all the other feedback and input from others. AWESOME!
Just a couple quick q's...

What size tub and heat mat/cord wattage would you recommend for gtp hatchy? Also, how tall should the tub be, is one of these 10l like em has used ok?
I'm a little worried about the number & position of airholes being as I need to keep the humidity up. Any pointers would be appreciated. Photo's would be legendary.

Also, I have seen the actual "Click-Clack" brand containers being sold on some online reptile stores.
e3b2b1f834bf889cc17111d10a5adf53.jpg

Anybody actually use these? What are they like? Can anyone recommend them? I don't mind paying a little bit extra just for this hatchy, he is gonna be the reptile I spoil rotten, haha :)
Cheers
Kev :D

Last edited:
I got the exact same plastic container that you used .. does it not matter that the material is see through?

ok, im not a snake owner but hope to be when i think im ready. i know you use a heat mat under the click clack, but where is the best spot to put it? under the tile?

ok, im not a snake owner but hope to be when i think im ready. i know you use a heat mat under the click clack, but where is the best spot to put it? under the tile?

You can do that, it will distribute the heat evenly, though I dont think its a good idea to have it on the inside of the enclosure.
Most people use heatmats on the outside of clickclacks I think. You dont want you hatchy tipping over the waterbowl with the mat inside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back