Gunmen blaze away at snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently trained three Queensland Parks and Wildlife officers and four Queensland police officers are asked them how many laws were breached in this case and what if anything has been done about it, they stated simply NOTHING and that there were a number of firearms laws broken as well as wildlife breaches, by the end of the course all seven had made further enquiries to the situation and were frustrated at the lack a response....something I did find out is that a person can receive up to 3000 penalty units for wildlife offenses in QLD (already knew that bit) and one penalty unit is $100!!!!!......that's a nice sized potential fine....,,if it was ever given!

Jeannie, I wouldn't condone going around randomly shooting any animal for no good reason let alone being cruel, if it needs to be done it has to be done humanly, not just pot shots at animals trying to flee floods. These animals were scared just like the people & were trying to save their lives, they were going up trees & onto small little island to get out of the water, leave them the hell alone. I get that not everyone likes snakes but they have a role in nature & once again people are trying to interfere. What if these were koalas up the tree & they were shooting them, imagine the outcry?

Simple thing is, there was no reason for it, this "pack of men" should have been doing something more constructive and actually helping. If they were out actually helping they wouldn't have had time to go & get a boat for themselves & their firearms.

Obviously these "men" were in hero mode and took it upon themselves to "save more lives by killing snakes"I can see the hatred in the words from the wife...about looking down in case they tread on a venomous snakes, if you don't feel safe in the rural areas..MOVE TO THE CITY.

PLEASE....Don't kill our protected native fauna

im guessing not ONE OF YOU read the letter from the wife? however im betting you will still attack and abuse these men regardless because all your seeing is 'how dare they kill a snake, hang them from the yardarm'

i am stunned how 'some' of you can be up in arms about the killing of snakes yet condone putting a cat in a bag and tossing it into a river, condone the poisoning of a cat or other such cruelty and easily dismiss one life over another based on what animal you like, i loathe snakes however i would never be cruel to one nor would i go around telling people to put it in a bag and drop it in the river and let it suffer, yet some in here seem to think its ok to suggest doing that to a cat and laugh about it

double standards? maybe a tad

I'm guessing every one of read the wife's letter. I am guessing some of us live in rural areas like the wife and enjoy that they can walk out their front door and see a snake.
I am most certainly against the killing of ANY native wildlife be that Snake, Koala, Quoll, Fish or Bird for such little and petty reasons as 'Snakes are a menace thin their population', 'fun' or 'because they can'. (This means I am not against sustainable harvesting such as Kangaroo hunting/culling). Likewise I do not support people '"putting a cat in bag and tossing it in the river". I do however support the eradication of all feral cats through viable means including specific baiting poisons, shooting and trapping. (I also support cats being banned as pets but that's neither here nor there.) There is a very good reason for this. Snakes are an ancient part of Australia's fauna, well ingrained in the food chain, and even of little threat to humans with Australia's population density, good sense and Australian medicine taken into account. Cats are an invasive non native species which have been a key threatening process in the extinction of some 20+ mammals (I do not bellitle the role of foxes or dogs but cats helped). If you properly read this you will understand my reasons for cats to be killed and for snakes to be protected (as they are legally) hinges not on any placing one life over another, nor on a preference for snakes rather than cats.

Another more minor point is a cat dropped in a river will suffocate well under 3 minutes, this is not particularly cruel, not a nice way to go but far better than some. Dropping a snake in a bag in a river is very different, depending on species and the river the snake could take up to several hours to suffocate going slowly but agonizingly into an unconscious state or slowly freeze to death as the cold bottom waters of the river cease all its vital metabolic functions. Just pointing out the two things are far from equal.

Now my final point. Do you condone people breaking Australian state or federal laws? If you do good, their are plenty of people out their who would just love to rob you, burn your house down etc and have you reply 'I support people breaking laws like that'. If you do not than you along with us should support that these men guilty of breaking the law should face a penalty.

I read the wifes comment, I always read the comments, and it does not excuse what they did. I also wouldn't stand for cruelty to cats either. Honestly Jeannine, I don't know why you are even a member here as all you ever want to do is pick fights with people.

i completely agree... if you despise and loathe snakes why are you here?? They broke laws and should be punished.

I think these goofballs should consider themselves lucky that nobody is following this matter up further. i received the last email off Queenslands Regional Crime Coordinator Detective Inspector Darryl Johnson today who quoted that: I refer to your email dated 23 May 2011 addressed to the Queensland Premier relating to the killing of protected native wildlife and associated firearm offences by persons during the Queensland floods in January 2011. This matter was investigated by the Queensland Police Service and resulted in the identification of the person responsible. Whilst no criminal action was commenced due to the emergent situation of flooding and associated rescue efforts, an official caution was administered.

Its still a pretty poor outcome. There should have at least been substantial fines involved. Cased closed supposedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back