Gutted

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plisskensnake

Reaction score
1 Month ago i procured my first Children's Python. A beautiful 1 year old. After a few weeks settling in she finally fed for me Sunday last week. A thawed Pinkie mouse purchased from a pet store.
Yesterday (Thursday) i found her dead in her enclosure. To say that i am terribly upset is an understatement.
I have read and read and read as much literature as i could get my hands on regarding the keeping of this beautiful animal. I am now searching for a reason as to why this may have happened and if anyone else has experienced the same sort of thing.
She was in a timber 4 foot enclosure. Glass sliding front facing doors.
Temperature 30 degrees warm and approx 26 degrees cool end.
Humidity was always between 55% and 65%.
All items in the enclosure were washed thoroughly before putting in. Substrate was Aspen snake bedding.
I can't stop thinking that i have done something wrong and obviously i have. If you feel like having a crack at me don't bother i have been kicking my own butt all night. Any advice welcomed :(

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry for your loss mate. These things sometimes just happen :(

Deeply sorry for your loss. Sounds as though your habitat is fine, i have had friends end up with some dodgy food in the past, Some pet shops are a little irresponsible with ensuring frozen petfood stays frozen, usually the larger outlets.

Once again sorry to hear of your loss.

Just wondering why there was a "few weeks" settling in period? In most cases snakes will readily feed within a day or two of arriving in a new place, if all parameters are OK. Did you offer food prior to the successful feed? Who did you buy it from - no names, a shop or a breeder? Unlikely to have been caused by dodgy food - usually if they will eat it, it's OK. Did you feed it in the enclosure with the Aspen substrate - could it have ingested some of this material (OK for big snakes, I would never recommend it for small ones...)?

Jamie

are you sure it was eating pink mice? it just seems way to small for a yearling, can i ask how you prepared the food item for feeding?

There are any number of things that could have happened which are completely out of your control. your enclosure sounds great so don't beat yourself up too much. Hopefully an autopsy will clear things up.

Sorry for your loss, all the best mate.

Did the snake throw its food up prior to death? Were there signs of a violent (thrashing around) death? Bad food usually causes these sort of symptoms prior to death. I had several yearlings die from tainted food about 15 years ago. It was a most horrible way to die.

If the snake did throw up, put it in a plastic bag and take it to the vet with you.

i doubt it had anything to do with the enclosure or feeding as i have had snakes go over 6 months without eating. get an autopsy.

sorry to hear about your loss.

So sorry for your loss, my thoughts are with you. I'm new to the whole reptile keeping as well, but it sounds like she may have come to you with a problem from the breeder, or she was born with a defect, like a heart or nuro problem. Don't let this experience stop you from keeping reptiles! xo

I just want to say thanks to everyone and their well wishes. I have been travelling for work the last few days and not had a chance to reply in real time. I am overwhelmed with everyone's support and comments, suggestions etc. I am still very upset by the whole thing but I guess as many have put it, "it happens" what an amazing community to be a part of. A real heart felt thank you to everyone who bothered to reply. It is true that animal. Lovers are special special people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back