Ha Ha Ha !!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mase

Reaction score
hey guys im new to breeding rodents and ive just attempted to remove the lid on the tank where i keep the rats and they are running and jumping attempting to get out and hey they were hanging off the edges .. what is the best way to take a couple of rat pups out with out having the larger ones escape ??

Don't take the lid completely off. Use one hand to grab the pups and your other to hold the lid down & also to cover whatever gap there is.

try chloroform (not on yourself of course), but it can temporarily put all your rodents to sleep (in the right dose, including the neighbors cat), and they will all wake up rather happy (after of course you have taken the pups out). am not sure if it is legal, but a mate uses it to great affect and sells plenty of pre frozen rodents around Aus to herp buyers...

and as chloroform has a rather short 'half life', it will be out of the rodents system by the time you fed it to your snake.

maybe you could fashion a smaller opening door in the lid so that you can stick your hand in easily.
dont forget to make it lockable!

Mine are fairly tame so its not anb issue with me but you can just pull the adults out, put em in a smaller tub, then grab the pups that way.
I find thats better anyway cos i usually find some pinkies or pups underneath some of the wood chips, so this way you can make sure your not leavin any behind

when I ever took the pups out to check how many there where or to check what sex they where, I'd but the mum or any big ones into a shoe box with holes and tape to hold the lid down works a treat.

Cheers Jody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back