Haindling vens

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how old should you be to hold a ven???

• 7-9

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • 10-13

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • 13-15

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • 15-17

Votes: 65 72.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have watched documentary where they said if venom just drips from their fang, or you handle a bag after a venomous snake, it is still possible to be envenomated because your skin is porous. If the snake struck at the bag and leaves venom on the bag can be as dangerous as being bitten. The part about the bag we were told this at our training for Capture and Release of venomous snakes. Not a highly occuring incident but has happened.

Okay, thanks for the reply!

I have watched documentary where they said if venom just drips from their fang, or you handle a bag after a venomous snake, it is still possible to be envenomated because your skin is porous. If the snake struck at the bag and leaves venom on the bag can be as dangerous as being bitten. The part about the bag we were told this at our training for Capture and Release of venomous snakes. Not a highly occuring incident but has happened.

why would you risk getting out of bed?

I'm not sure if this is possible. Myself and all of my ex-colleagues from my previous place of work have regularly had our hands covered in venom from all of the "deadly" snakes we have in Australia and never shown any adverse reaction whatsoever. I'm going to send an email to a few blokes in the know who are more knowledgable than myself and see what they reckon...

Cheers

I don't know shlanger...I've seen some "elapid handlers" that have absolutely no idea what they are doing!

The venom needs to be injected for systemic effects, you may have an allergic reaction to touching venom but you shouldn't have any adverse effects from the venom itself.

The relevance is, elapid keepers tend to know more about elapid handling than do non elapid keepers!
Never kept an Elapid in my life, but probably handled as many as most responsible ven keepers.
Term, freehandling, should not exist in my opinion, even when getting a ven off the road, in most places you'll have a stick nearby, and worst case, tail and a wiggle will get you by.
Not meaning to upset the true ven keepers, but a significant amount of keepers are sensation keepers, for big balls reason only.
There is no reason, to freehandle a ven!

I'm not sure if this is possible. Myself and all of my ex-colleagues from my previous place of work have regularly had our hands covered in venom from all of the "deadly" snakes we have in Australia and never shown any adverse reaction whatsoever. I'm going to send an email to a few blokes in the know who are more knowledgable than myself and see what they reckon...

Cheers

Thanks for your thoughts Jonno. I would be interested in hearing some more on this. At the short course I did a couple years ago a little brown struck at my bag and I was told to check it for wet patches and take care not to touch it.

I actually can't find anything on the net to support what I said but I like to know if I give wrong information. I just love to learn about them. One thing did come to mind though, if venom can't penetrate the skin unless injected what happens when the likes of spitting cobras get you. I did read they aim for the eyes and can cause temporary blindness but does it have any effect if they miss and it gets your skin?

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts Jonno. I would be interested in hearing some more on this. At the short course I did a couple years ago a little brown struck at my bag and I was told to check it for wet patches and take care not to touch it.

I actually can't find anything on the net to support what I said but I like to know if I give wrong information. I just love to learn about them. One thing did come to mind though, if venom can't penetrate the skin unless injected what happens when the likes of spitting cobras get you. I did read they aim for the eyes and can cause temporary blindness but does it have any effect if they miss and it gets your skin?

Spitting cobra venom is harmless to intact skin. I've also seen doco's with venom ingested and there was no ill effects.

This is why i queried the comment by mysnakesau. I also have had venom over my hands and never thought anything of it.

you wouldnt want an open wound ... it also aint good if you inhale it in powdered form

Perhaps what I have heard are thoughts of possiblilites but come with no supporting evidence. Or I have missed something and really don't know what the hell I am talking about :oops: :lol:

Maybe thats it Swaddo. Perhaps they say getting venom on your skin where wounds occur, is when it can be dangerous. I've been sitting here looking for just one website to support what I said. But the best I have found is that ppl working with venom on snake farms always wear protective clothing and caution when handling the crystalised venom.

Never kept an Elapid in my life, but probably handled as many as most responsible ven keepers.
Term, freehandling, should not exist in my opinion, even when getting a ven off the road, in most places you'll have a stick nearby, and worst case, tail and a wiggle will get you by.
Not meaning to upset the true ven keepers, but a significant amount of keepers are sensation keepers, for big balls reason only.
There is no reason, to freehandle a ven!

i disagree. There is at least one reason, "choice" the same reason for doing almost everything we do in life.

18+ atleast simply because once your 18 your pretty much an adult and you old enough and ugly enough by that age to to responsibilty for your own dumb actions

This is a tough question, legally we only take people over 18, but as many other people would know, most people who handle vens do so at a young age!

I think theres way to many variables in the situation (in addition to having an experienced keeper beside them).....I dont think you can give a black and white answer for this.

As for venom penetrating the skin. Im certain that (as others have said) it has to enter your body through a wound in the skin. You can drink venom and provided you dont have any small cuts or wounds in you digestive tract between your mouth and stomach, your stomach acid will break down the venom with no harm to you - its horrible but you can goto just about any market in asia and drink snake blood, venom etc they collect wild snakes, break out their fangs (if venomous) and kill it right in front of you. Apparently it builds strength, a total myth if you ask me.

It has alot to do with the people and the snakes they have been brought up around. I have been catching wild elapids since I was 11 years old and have not been biten by an elapid yet. The powers that be try to stipulate age requirements and the rest when it comes to elapids but the only reason they try to do so is because the keeping of reptiles is now the IN THING. My reptile fascination goes back over twenty years when anyone who kept or was interested in reptiles was considerered a freak and authorities had better things to do with their time than enforce laws relating to the keeping of native animals (ie. controlled burns to prevent bushfires). I believe anyone who wants to keep elapids regardless of age should have to demonstrate their ability to the authorising body and each case needs to evaluated on merit.

I'm not 8, 18, or 28. I'm 38 and still not in any hurry to handle a ven thankyou very much! lol

I agree 18+ definately. I saw a pic recently on here with a young kids handling a RB i was very shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back