Haindling vens

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how old should you be to hold a ven???

• 7-9

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • 10-13

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • 13-15

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • 15-17

Votes: 65 72.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO ... it takes intense mental discipline and alertness to handle any potentionally dangerous animal safely

and this cannot be taught to a person (regardless of their age) ...OK the handling techniques can be shown...

but the essential mental discipline the person must be born with

Cheers
Sandee :)

(the case kerstan is)The prediction... none of us can predict if its going to happen ...we take risks knowing the possibilites of what may happen ..but that is taken with all things especially when dealing with animals ...venomous snakes yes are an obvious risk ...so people jump straight on the band wagon
but if we speak statistically the fluffier more doe eye'd animals have been far more dangerous and deadly to our young children then any venomous reptile has ..

No one is volunteering any opinions about the dangers or lack of danger in any other situations RBB. You might find that people who are against elapid handling in young kids are equally against letting their kids be alone with dogs, or skydivng for example.

If we speak statistcally we'd be talking rubbish, statistics are only as good as the person preparing them, and are rarely ever comprehensive.

As for bandwagons, can you not conceive of the notion that people are able to form their own opinions based in fact and logic which may differ to yours without them being sheep, or bandwagon-jumpers?

I have said that in earlier posts kerstan if you had botherd to read back ...each to their own as was said ..you do have the right to your opinion I am not saying that you dont ...but you dont have the right to condem a parents doing just because you find it out of your comfort zone was my point .

Oh dear RBB, you haven't read my posts properly, have you? I haven't condemned anyone, in fact I've been very careful not to venture an opnion about age at all. I certainly haven't said anything to indicate what is within my comfort zone and I have most definitely read all of your posts, I just have trouble understanding them at times is all.

Age has nothing to do with it....It (IMO) comes down to the kids up-bringing. I grew up in the bush. I was steering my dads ute aroung the paddocks and I was shooting and riding motorbikes by the time I was around 5. My parents were responsible with the way I was taught things.

A kid that knows nothing about firearms picks up a rifle without proper instruction or guidance and things may get pretty messy. Much the same with handling vens. Regardless on age, if they are brought up around these situations with responsable and caring guidance then it shouldn't be a concern.

Oh dear RBB, you haven't read my posts properly, have you? I haven't condemned anyone, in fact I've been very careful not to venture an opnion about age at all. I certainly haven't said anything to indicate what is within my comfort zone and I have most definitely read all of your posts, I just have trouble understanding them at times is all.

I have noticed that with RBB of late, tends to shoot from the lip and or not actually read other peoples posts. More like egg on the face than burnt sausage hey RBB.:p

BTW, I was 8 when I started catching copperheads, tigers and red bellies. For some unknown reason I managed to not get bitten for another 40 years. Which begs the question, should you let older people handle vens?

Kersten,

I take it you are directing the following towards me?

"While it's true that an elapid handler would have a better idea of what an elapid would do; logic dictates that having intensive first hand experience of a particular action is not necessary in order to understand enough of the consequences of that action to form an opinion of it's safety. "

I never said in either of my posts on the subject that if you don't keep/kept/work with elapids that cannot form a relevant opinion towards the subject at hand.

However, the trend on forums is give either "advice" or make comments hidden behind an alias, since this is the case with most people who comment, how as people can we give weight to or to take the opinion propsed seriously if that they are not willing to put their own name behind their comments. The comment I made I stand by, I would be surprised if more than half whom have voted in this pole actually have first hand experience with elapids.

I am not saying that the people without elapid exp cannot make informed decisions on the subject at hand, however I would think that it would relevant to note this in their post.

Cheers,
Scott

Just got to get the post count up she does.
Anyways, newborns should handle vens. after driving a car at high speed while drunk steering with tongs.

I supose it makes sense to get kids handling, one single bandage goes a lot further on a kid when the "responsible", "experianced" , "knoweledgable" vens keeper stuffs it all up.

Kris.

While it's true that an elapid handler would have a better idea of what an elapid would do; logic dictates that having intensive first hand experience of a particular action is not necessary in order to understand enough of the consequences of that action to form an opinion of it's safety. I don't take recreational drugs, but I know enough to know it has the potential to kill. I don't drive at ridiculous speed; however, I'm cognisant of the danger of doing so. I don't handle elapids at all, and never will; however, I've seen enough and understand enough of the process to be able to form an opinion of the wisdom of letting my kids do so at an early age. I don't doubt for a second that there are people out there who judge without even giving it a second's thought. That being said, I'd be wary about casting any doubt on the opinion of every person who has formed a negative opinion of early elapid handling based solely on the fact they haven't done it themselves.

I wonder Kristen. Does this mean that you don't let you kids play on junlge gyms, play with big dogs, have a shower standing up, make a coffee, sit by a camp fire or go swimming?

If you would let your kids do these things please entertain me by letting me know why you would.

Ha Ha peter ...yes well you got the burnt sausage ..so its only fair to give me the fried egg..
As far as the difference of opinion goes why is it that when having a debate with you Kersten ,Kris the boy wonder seems to add his little bit of "mouth off "at the situation ?
Maybe I miss took your post but it seems like a fair few others are questioning it as well are they just doing it to Kris for the post count ?

I wonder Kristen. Does this mean that you don't let you kids play on junlge gyms,

This is a pretty odd statement, spelling aside. Whats a jungle gym?

I know it something in America, but we're Australian. You know about Australia, don't you? An independant country that occasionally pays lip service to the United Kingdom.

They are what you let our jags climb on.It is sad that some "Aussies" spend to much time thinking they are seppos and find they need to use every yankism out there. Next they'll be handling "hots".
The young kids these days....

I also feel no matter how 'experienced' the ven handler is, they cannot full predict what a ven may or may not do. It would only take a flash of a second to strike out. That is why I reckon older as they are in control of what dangers they CHOOSE to put themselves in.

couldnt have said it better myself.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back