hairy moments of the none captivity type!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medz84

Reaction score
love to hear some stories of close calls anybody has, for me it wasnt quite a close call but did give me a fright
last christmas break i was brushcutting our yard over the break when i had my foot move from under me and a decent size black snake slivered out from under my foot ( i was in some long grass next to the work driveway)
would love to hear some stories...

HA HA I get lots of hairy moments ...worse one was catching a red bellied black ,snake was underneath some old sleepers ,as i pulled back the sleeper to get the snake heaps of HUNTSMAN SPIDERS came running out and ended up all over my feet n legs ...cause the snake was right there and i didnt want it to get away I stood still as, while screaming my lungs out ,tailed the RBB still screaming cause the spiders are still running all over me ,bagged the snake THEN DID A BIG SLAP DANCE TO GET THE HAIRY 8 LEGGED FREAKS OFF ME ....

OMG LMAO Redbelly!!! The closest I've ever had is just about to put my foot down on a decent king brown by the side of the road. Wasn't looking properly (cos I was walking in a grump).

HA HA I get lots of hairy moments ...worse one was catching a red bellied black ,snake was underneath some old sleepers ,as i pulled back the sleeper to get the snake heaps of HUNTSMAN SPIDERS came running out and ended up all over my feet n legs ...cause the snake was right there and i didnt want it to get away I stood still as, while screaming my lungs out ,tailed the RBB still screaming cause the spiders are still running all over me ,bagged the snake THEN DID A BIG SLAP DANCE TO GET THE HAIRY 8 LEGGED FREAKS OFF ME ....

Now THAT put a smile back on my face for the evening :lol:

when i was younger we had huge property over our back fence and i remember atleast 3 times bouncing on my trampoline which was located right infront of the rear fence and seeing eastern browns slithering from under the fence into my backyard and straight under the trampoline which i was bouncing on!... on one occasion one decided to hang round a bit and catch some shade under the tramp.. i remember lying there dead still just watching them.. had no idea how much danger i may have been in though lol.
also me and a mate use to spend the summer catching blue tongues and other skinks and once or twice we ran into some red bellies in our adventures

i have told this one before but will again for you.

when i was younger, about knee high to a grass hopper i was with my parents at a family friends house for bit of a party, they had a pink and Grey galah in a cage out back, that used to dance or bob up and down, so i was bobbing up and down in front of the bird trying to get it to dance as well,

next thing i hear my dad "Tristan! Don't move stand still" in quite a serious voice i stop and ask whats wrong "theirs a snake next to your leg don't move" so i look down and sure enough there is a snake but bugger me its a 1.5ishM Mulga reared up looking dead at me all of about 1 foot away, tell you what like a cat i sprung up and sideways think i moved over a meter from a standing position.

unfortunatly for the snake it rocked up on a property where they are not fond of snakes and it was "disposed of".

another time few years later, i was playing games late into the morning on a weekend, and i have a mate sleeping over as you do when your a kid, any way he went to bed and when i went to follow suit i walked into the back/spare room, that was also the ironing room, and in the moonlight i could see something stretching from the ironing table towards the wall, at first i thought its just a shadow in the night,

but then i kept looking at the shape and thought there is nothing to make a shadow like that so i flicked on the light and booya its a young 1mish Mulga, i ran and got dad, but i think the light and commotion disturbed the fella and he fled back under the house.

to clarify our house was ground level but it was on stilts with a hatch that you could climb under the house. and in the back room the bricks had bit of a gap that was 1-2cm thick that went straight into the under house section.

oh and after that i still went to sleep in that room :)

oh i have more, my mate and i used to catch the Ta ta dragons that were everywhere got pretty pro at it but had a few occasions where we caught larger ones and they don't tend to let go when they bite so here i am with a largeish female hanging off my finger and every time you move the dragon or your finger it bites down harder, so the trick is relax and you can feel the dragon relax its grip bit by bit, and once you think the grip is loose enough quickly rip your finger out, and just hope you get it right or you get to start all over again :p.

then i used to catch the babies and have them bite my ear lob and let them dangle ( they did not hurt lol)

Last edited:
years ago i was camping with friends at yagon (little place near seal rocks) i was walking back from the beach in thongs and a bikini when for some reason i looked down and was about a foot away from stepping on a short dull coloured snake that looked like its tail had been amputated. i stepped back as calmly as i could manage, took a good look at it so i could look it up in the snake book when i got home and walked away.

there are no phones at Yagon and this was before the days of everyone having a mobile, friends were all drunk and a hospital was hours away.

when i got home i identified it as a death adder,...i think that was my lucky day! :)

Stood on a red belly when trout fishing once, thank god I had king gees on with army boots, had a couple of goes at me, I dam shat my self.

Fishing with a couple of mates once at the start of Summer, one being smart and telling us to look on the ground for snakes and what not, the other and I just looking for a good spot to fish... while walking and chatting I just happened to look down,
and thank god for my ninja skills, quickly slammed my right arm into the other "not so smart one" and pushed him back, without saying a word while he was gasping for air just pointed to the ground at a healthy Red bellied black about 5 foot long... I swear our feet were only INCHES of him/her.

Luckily for me, I was closer to the tail... Lucky for him I found it...
Would of hated to see the outcome of that... he is allergic to almost everything, inc the powder in latex gloves =S
plus heamophilic or how ever you spell it.

when i was a kid one of our incomes was to go out Friday afternoon and come back Sunday afternoon and spend all that time trapping rabbits for a company in Adelaide that came here and bought them

had many close encounters with browns and almost stepping on them while out and about plus now and then found the odd now or two laying in the sun at the entrance to a burrow

worst non reptile encounters were 6 traps set at one area 5 flipping foxes, mugsie me had to walk back to the car to get the rifle stupid step father had left there, 1 trap at another site had snared a huge black feral cat (couldnt see it but man hearing it was bad enough) sod got away with the trap still on its leg

ha ha i get lots of hairy moments ...worse one was catching a red bellied black ,snake was underneath some old sleepers ,as i pulled back the sleeper to get the snake heaps of huntsman spiders came running out and ended up all over my feet n legs ...cause the snake was right there and i didnt want it to get away i stood still as, while screaming my lungs out ,tailed the rbb still screaming cause the spiders are still running all over me ,bagged the snake then did a big slap dance to get the hairy 8 legged freaks off me ....

lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When i was a kid in NSW we were walking down by a river. Sorry can't remember the location. I had no shoes on. For some reason i stopped on the path. I looked down to see a Red Belly Black snake going over my toes. I have never stood so still in my life. It just kept going down toward the river none the wiser. Got the heart pumping i tell you.

No close reptile calls for me..... close-ish call on-foot with a wild leopard once... does that count? And there was a REALLY big spider in my bathroom a few months back :)

Oh, and catfish!! I ALWAYS get bitten by stupid flippin' catfish! One was really big :)

i lived on the central coast nsw for many years and had many man close encounters with funnel webs heres the best 2 i can think of
i was young realy young it was my 1st sickie off school i can remember i was watching cartoons and went to put my arms up on the head rest out streached like a bird wings and plopped my hand onto one it ran up my arm and i sh** myself and did the windmill till it flew off me mum saw the last bit with me doing the windmill and went white seeing the mega black spyder hit the wall next to her.
the next one was weird i was digging a trench for a mote (yes a moat) for a kids party in the rich end of town
whilst digging this weird ball rolls out of the wheel barrow and then splits into like 10 little bits and ran every where
one chased the lady of the residence into her house screaming so loud it was insane someone called the cops thinking she was being killed lol
anyone who has seen a funnel rear up and run at u knows the *** feeling when they do it lol
thoes black suckers scare the sh** outta me i pale out at the sight of any 8 legged freak bigger than a grass spider
but if i see a big brown out here im like ohh cool look at that
funny how fears go eh

Nato I KNOW your fear ....oh so well ....snake catcher that catches some of the most toxic elapids in Australia and a huntsman spider makes me scream and cry ...go figure ;)

I was releasing my first gwardar. I hooked it (the wrong way) out of the tub it was in, it launched off the hook and just about jumped over my shoulder. The snake and the hook got thrown a good 20m lol.

I was releasing my first gwardar. I hooked it (the wrong way) out of the tub it was in, it launched off the hook and just about jumped over my shoulder. The snake and the hook got thrown a good 20m lol.
BAHAHAHAHA ..bet ya needed a change of jocks too ;)

Guzzo’s Story
Well I was fishing at a little kakadu billabong. I knelt down beside a big tree and tied a lure on my line. When I stood up there was a 4+ meter crock less than 2 meters away from me.
It was on the surface and was nosed up against the bank looking right at me. I think it must have seen me crouched and thought I was a wallaby or something.
When I stood up it exploded away in a splash, leaving me dripping wet.
It could have easily taken me easily and I think it was sussing me out and sizing me up as if it was stalking me I would have been easy prey..
A full size horse was taken a few days later at the same spot.
I had been to that spot many times before and had never a croc, I knew they were there but got complacent......learnt a good lesson anyway.....changed my pants too.....you know........they got wet from when the croc splashed me.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back