Hand-reared birds?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the.badger

Reaction score
Hey all,

Went to buy some duck food from the pet shop today and I had a look at all their birds... Yeah, so now I want to keep birds again. I'll probably just start with budgies or cockateels (spelling??) or something. but I also like finches and those small parrot type thingos like lovebirds etc. Never kept those before though.

Anyway, so I was just wondering if anyone knows a good shop/person/breeder to get hand-reared birds from in Victoria? Or even just very young and impressionable birds, haha. I haven't kept birds since I left WA.

Also if anyone's had any experience with other breeds I'd love to hear your ideas on them.

Thanks kids.

sun conures are great so are Nanday and Green cheek conures, but its a personal choices as some people like certain birds and others don't - I don't like Eckies haha but loads love them. Try and have as much to do with as many breeds and you will find whats right for you - good luck

Why dont you check out lorikeets also they are pretty entertaining and have alot more character than any of the birds you mentioned, I work with birds everyday and the lorikeets always make me luagh :D

IRNs are good to handraise, as are Galah. I am getting some green cheeks soon & I can't wait to raise some Kakariki babies. Princess are another good choice. Lories are good but are sooo messy!

Finches aren't a bird to hand-rear :p

Budgies / cockatiels are cheap and easy to tame up from birth. Will probably give you the best bang for buck if you're planning on selling the hand-reared babies. You have a better chance of unloading them too, as opposed to the more expensive intelligent birds like eclectus / conures.

IRNs are good to handraise, as are Galah. I am getting some green cheeks soon & I can't wait to raise some Kakariki babies. Princess are another good choice. Lories are good but are sooo messy!
Princess parrots are a good one too but Kakarikis are a pain in the a*s to keep tame!!:D

Eclectus parrot (male) and you will have one of the best potential talking bird. Or and African Grey if you can afford one. Cheaper good talkers are long billed correllas (noisy), or sulphur crested cockatoos (noisy too)

Princess parrots are a good one too but Kakarikis are a pain in the a*s to keep tame!!:D

Kakarikis are soo easy to make friends with & once you do, you have a funny, loyal friend for life! ;)

I love the birds also, another addiction!!! Here are some baby Blue and Gold Macaws we handreared at the start of the year, Green Winged Macaw, African Grey and of course the clowns of the bird world lorikeets... These are just some local fly ins....

Attachments

• Animal Pictures 049.jpg
    Animal Pictures 049.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Animal Pictures 005.jpg
    Animal Pictures 005.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Animal Pictures 001.jpg
    Animal Pictures 001.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 97
  • Jess' Pictures 023.jpg
    Jess' Pictures 023.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 78
wow what did the macaws and the african grey set you back?

Your a lucky bugger !!!

Haha, OK guys, thanks for all your advice, for the most part I have no idea what you're talking about, so I'm off to google the breeds you mentioned.

Duke, I'm not going to be rearing them, I want one that has been hand reared, hahaha.

And no, finches are not great for taming! But they're cute and light-heared and fun to watch. I guess they're like the goldfish of the bird world.

So what are the general prices of all these breeds you've been talking about? You've all got me worried with comments like "if you can afford one" and "a cheaper alternative" etc etc!

As much as I'd love a galah or a cockatoo, I don't think my other half would appreciate the ear piercing screatching at 5am every morning. Plus they live for a really really long time, which is cool and everything but we'd have to write them into our will, hehe. That's another reason why I won't get big monitors.

Scotty I didn't even know we could keep macaws in Aus! They're awesome mate, those babies are uber cute!

Thanks guy's, there's alot of exotic birds which we can keep here in aus which came through many years ago. these are called NEBRS stock. your not aloud to do it now but, highly illegal although it still happens.
Wouldn't like to say about the price tag!!!!!! The Blue and Golds sell for about 6-7 k handraised but... anyone want one??

u better make sure your snakes dont get near them hehe could be a very costly mistake !!!

Green winged macaws are more expensive than blue and golds arn't they? Are African Greys around the 5k mark still? been ages since I was into birds.

Eclectus I are around the $1200 mark

a Macaw or african grey is on my shopping list. when i have the cash.. LOL..

the only way to pay off the initial purchase is to breed, or use them as models/actors in advertising.. ;)

Ok well my budget's probably more around the $100 mark! Give or take of course.

And I have to get the cage too, so around $300 all up would be my limit I think.

I also don't have heaps of space and don't have room for a large outdoor aviary, which is why I was leaning towards the smaller breeds. I did a bit of research on the kakiriki (sp?) and it said min. cage requirements is a 4 metre long aviary so they're kinda out :( Shame coz they sound amazing.

It's something you really should think hard about. I was always a little ignorant as to just how intensive companion birds are. They are like 5 years olds on a sugar high, constantly into things they should be, crapping on the floor, screaming for attention...granted they are a lot of fun, and they have tons of character, but to do it properly it is life consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back