Handling Gloves

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarron

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m wanting to get some gloves that by snake can’t bite through. What do all of you use?

Gloves are dangerous as their teeth can get stuck in the fibres, causing them to tear out and potentially get infected

What snake are you concerned about biting you?

I know it’s not a boa but it’s my first snake and I don’t want to deal with any more bites yet. She is usually good unless she is Hungry and I will only be using gloves for a couple handles then using hands but a stimsons

Oh I wasn't judging you when I asked about snake type,
I only asked so we could see if any suggestions could be made to minimise it happening.
E.g. hatchies being so nippy from being low on the food chain.

When do the bites tend to happen?
Do you quickly pick the snake up without hesitations?
Are they defensive bites (quick bite then let's go), or feeding bites (bites and hangs on)?

You could consider a hook as another way of preventing bites.

It's understandable not to enjoy being bitten lol
I've always felt for the -majority- of Australian pythons the shock of it is more concerning than the bite itself....
But then I remember my ex got slammed by a rather hefty gtp that left some nice bruises lol.

I pick her up with the hook and put her into my hand, they are feeding bites cause she comes up to my finger has her nose on it and licking it then opens her mouth and starts to coil, but the first time she coil a little bit but then let go, her old owner didn’t handle her so. I’m not very comfortable picking her up yet so I use the hook, but when she is coming up my arm I try to grab her with my other hand and she stops and turns right to the other hand and that scares me a little bit

I pick her up with the hook and put her into my hand, they are feeding bites cause she comes up to my finger has her nose on it and licking it then opens her mouth and starts to coil, but the first time she coil a little bit but then let go, her old owner didn’t handle her so. I’m not very comfortable picking her up yet so I use the hook, but when she is coming up my arm I try to grab her with my other hand and she stops and turns right to the other hand and that scares me a little bit
Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly first. I always soap my hands up good, rinse thwm off, pat dry and apply a little Coles brand hand sanitiser. The alcohol smell of that will discourage any feeding bite...

Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly first. I always soap my hands up good, rinse thwm off, pat dry and apply a little Coles brand hand sanitiser. The alcohol smell of that will discourage any feeding bite...
I wash my hands every time before I handle her, and I have a little bottle of dettol hand sanitizer and she bit me still

I wash my hands every time before I handle her, and I have a little bottle of dettol hand sanitizer and she bit me still
Feed it more, would be pretty hungry in that case, considering it's latching on and not just snapping at you defensively.

Feeding more often or a bigger size prey is a way to settle your python down, as I have discussed with you before.

Feed it more, would be pretty hungry in that case, considering it's latching on and not just snapping at you defensively.
What should a 2 n half year old stimsons be feeding on?
Feeding more often or a bigger size prey is a way to settle your python down, as I have discussed with you before.
Yes I know just wanted some other opinions.

What should a 2 n half year old stimsons be feeding on?

Yes I know just wanted some other opinions.
Definitely nothing smaller than large adult mice. My little stimmy isn't a year old yet and is on weaners now.

Ok well as Pinefamily mentioned, you need to upsize your feeders. Or feed it more often, perhaps every 5-7 days instead of 7-10.

Ok well as Pinefamily mentioned, you need to upsize your feeders. Or feed it more often, perhaps every 5-7 days instead of 7-10.
Okay thanks, I have 2 rats left, I might get more hoppers and then after that I might go to weanlings

You for real? A hopper rat is so big already on her mouth and throat, and she has a scar on her throat from when she escaped from other owner.

I probably am, I am first time so don’t know much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back