Handling immediately after shed?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigerlily

Reaction score
I went to take my roughie out and found he's in the middle of shedding! Is it ok to handle him immediately after or should I wait some time? Cheers

Should be fine, I figure he wouldn't be taking his old skin off if the new one wasn't ready to be rubbed all over everything rough in the enclosure in the process.

I was lucky enough to catch mine mid shed and after watching him struggling to get his head free I decided to put my hand in and see if he would use my hand as a rough surface, he did and he seemed thankful for the hand :) couple pics of the event in this thread.
https://aussiepythons.com/forum/sho...our-intergrades!/page13?highlight=intergrades

I like to give mine 24 hours just so their new skin is nice and dry and not as sensitive for them.
Also my female water python shed last week overnight and the next morning i put my hand in to get the shed out and she decided it was a rat and struck and coiled...

They should be fine to handle straight after a shed, but for most species you'll end up rubbing out that glorious, velvety metallic sheen that newly shed snakes have just after casting their old skins by sliming them up with your own oils and skin residues. Just when they're looking their very best, owners want to degrade this wonderful appearance. Sad really...

Jamie

Maybe if you view it through a microscope you would notice a difference but to the naked eye they still stay shiny and bright. Of course washing your hands before handling would be common practice so should be fine.

Maybe if you view it through a microscope you would notice a difference but to the naked eye they still stay shiny and bright. Of course washing your hands before handling would be common practice so should be fine.

Nothing to do with microscopes, and nothing to do with "shiny & bright" either - it's more subtle than that. If you don't recognise what I'm talking about, you're missing one of the pleasures of reptile keeping.

Jamie

You're talking about the iridescent sheen if you want to get technical. I know what you mean and I stand by what I said.

Thanks guys, as it turns out I didn't have much of a choice as I guess he thought since he's getting rid of old skin he might as well get rid of... everything else. It was the biggest, wettest, most disgusting mess he has ever made (I'm NEVER feeding chicken necks again!) so I went and got him out to clean. He was fine; I didn't notice any "sheen" and he felt the same as he usually does... I don't know what I was expecting but I thought his skin would be more delicate like a newly metamorphosed cicada or something. Silly me :)

I don't know what I was expecting but I thought his skin would be more delicate like a newly metamorphosed cicada or something. Silly me :)

Never a silly thing to ask a question if you are unsure and only looking out for the welfare of your animal.
Pity to hear it spoiled your moment with a package of its own though.

Same situation for myself yesterday.

I noticed my bredli had just shed and then I also noticed foul smell wafting around.

Handling was fine, she was calm as always and her enclosure got a good clean.

I always thought their new skin was delicate/sensitive.. like a healing blister i was told.. but then again, my guys never protested to handling or using me as a scratching post during shed :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back