Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally wouldn't risk it but if you want to do it, go ahead, but make sure you can 'read' the snake's movements. Which is generally hard for elapidae.

I dont really handle snakes as i dont have any, but when i am going to get vens yes i would handle them just be allot more alert and aware of their body.

if your talking wild elapids, its like boogas... pick'em but don't tell anyone!

you already know if you will or do, just carry bandages!

if your talking wild elapids, its like boogas... pick'em but don't tell anyone!

you already know if you will or do, just carry bandages!

Ahaha, that's hilarious. Will have to remember that one ;)

havent got elapids...yet, but i do plan on adding some to my collection and after ive had some training with them i do plan on a handle here and there.......maybe.

but make sure you can 'read' the snake's movements. Which is generally hard for elapidae.

You don't know what your talking about.

Elapids can be handled safetly if you are trained right, or have just been around snakes for a long time and you use your head.
It takes longer than a two day crash course. You won't learn the motor-skills or the right habits in two days.

i personally in the future if i do get a elapid or elapids <---most likely :D, i would use hook mainly and i would slowly build up the confidence with them to touch and hold them up by their tales
p.s i want a colletts snake, if anyone wants to buy me one :D

opinions on handling ven snakes??

they may vary,and quite often the least skilled ,least confident and least experianced are the most often to share there opinion.

what sort of opinions you looking for ?? lol

I'd like to do a course after I get more experienced handling pythons, to tail and bag elapids (not to turn into a regular thing, just for the experience of the course). I doubt I'd ever be game enough to free handle one.

I don't think people that do free handle are stupid, I think they are just really experienced, and it makes for really good youtubing :p

my opinion is just be responsible for your own actions and be prepared for the worse.....
There not toys or are they lol

As a licensed relocator handling wild vens is part of a days work. As was previously said you can't learn in a 2 day course, sure you can get a grasp of the basic techniques but it takes a lot of exposure to vens to be able to understand the animal and learn their behaviour, read their body language and predict their reaction. It takes time and practice.

I personally wouldn't risk it but if you want to do it, go ahead, but make sure you can 'read' the snake's movements. Which is generally hard for elapidae.
Actually reading an elapids body language is a lot easier than reading a pythons body language, we free handle our elapids all the time and I would trust my RBB over my BHP and water python any day.

Gotta love ven handling threads :D

Just a tip though. Get an adult, they will be much easier to handle (with or without a hook) due to their larger body size. Chances are they will also be much calmer than a juvenile snake.

I would say that when you are feeling confident with the snake, and if you are ready to accept the fact that you could be bitten, then go for it!

opinions on handling ven snakes??

they may vary,and quite often the least skilled ,least confident and least experianced are the most often to share there opinion.

what sort of opinions you looking for ?? lol

LOL, thats a bit unfair (but I get where your coming from). I fit into that category and think it means I'm quite qualified to voice an opinion, purely because, as a new handler (1 year relocating not keeping) I understand how quickly you realize your limitations.
After doing a course I got my relocators license, I also have access and on occasion have helped and/or watched others dealing with Elapids in captivity, medicating, sexing etc. I mostly deal with Dugites and Tigers.
Am I ready to keep Elapids? No. I could probably scrape along and learn as I go but at the end of the day they're not to be taken lightly and I'm still not prepared to jump in the deep end.
I've often said in similar threads (best begginner Elapids) etc that the best snake is somebody elses, it's not something that can be picked up overnight.
The OP leaves room for enterpretation if by handling he meant free handling ( like you would a python), some do it, I personally don't and wouldn't and I don't like to see it condoned and/or encouraged publicly.
If he meant handling as in hook, tail, head etc, then at some point it will be unavoidable in a captive situation.

I had a few blacks which were trustworthy to handle.. but I wouldn't go further than that. Risk factor, is each to their own.

A friend had a pair of colletts (the parents of the juvie in my avatar) that could be free handled easily. I personally handled them on several occasions and never felt that I was in danger of a bite. Colletts are probably the most placid of the Black Snake family but having said that I would actively discourage people from doing it. Nowadays I restrict my handling of vens to ones needing relocation and then usually only to tailing.

if ur unhappy with ur life sure handel them but if u have kids or a misses or boyfriend i dont think it would be smart enless u had anti venem lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back