Happy dance

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lutzd

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
..yep - that's what I'm doing - the good old happy dance! My olive FINALLY ate something!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Slatey, for the finch suggestion! I don't think I've ever seen a snake move so quick! :lol:

..And Nicole : You know how I've said this snake is as placid as can be?? Well not when he's got food he ain't! Go anywhere near the enclosure and he strikes at shadows! :lol: :lol:

He's busy chowing down as we speak - hope he can take it all! I'll try to get a photo of the bulge when/if he finishes it!

[dances off into the sunset, kicking up his heels.....happy dance, happy dance... happy, happy, happy dance.....]

Yeah!!! :D

That's a beautiful photo, and a very beautiful snake! I do have one small question about the photo though...

In the lower left hand corner, it looks like the electrical cable is stripped slightly, and possibly the wires showing.... I hope this is not the case, and it's just because I'm so sleep deprivated (DAMN WORK!!) that my eyes are seeing things.... Just thought I had better check though....

Thanks

Thanks for that, Dan! You've got very sharp eyes - I hadn't noticed that myself!

It IS a stripped on that piece - no idea how it happened. However, it's just the remote sensor for a dual temperature digital thermometer - bugger all current. However I've taped it up, so shouldn't be a problem now.

Thanks again.

David, what kind of camera do you have? Your photos are always fabbo!

Mel x

Huummmm, beautiful snake
Well done with getting him to eat. May i ask, what was the trick that slatey gave you?
Once again, Beautiful snake.

Camera

Thanks Mel, but I've seen a few round the gallery that are better! :lol:

It's a 3 megapixel Casio QV3000 EX. A bit dated now, but it does the job.

For those who may be interested, the features I like about it are :

It has macro capability - i.e. you can get within a cm or so of the subject.

You can use it fully automatic or manually set aperture and speed - automatic usually works fine for most scenarios.

The flash intensity can be adjusted up and down, which is great when doing closeup work, so the subject doesn't get "washed out".

The 256MB memory card can hold around 250 shots - the main secret is to take LOTS of photos - then you're bound to get at lest 1 or 2 that are acceptable! :wink: ... and being digital, it costs you nothing for the failures! :eek:

Kodak have a new AA cell 1850 mAh battery (Ni-MH) that lasts FOREVER!

I can easily get over 150 photos, using zoom and flash on one charge of the batteries.

Specs on the camera are here :

http://world.casio.com/pacific/qv/3000ex/body13.html

congrats david, that's very good news!!! huge relief eh? good to hear :) now the weaning process!

and dan - wow, well spotted hehe :) i'm most impressed

Congratulations David!! That's fantastic!
I can see the happy dance now! :lol:
Must be a weight of your mind. Rats soon I'm sure!

BTW, what's he called?

lutzd said:
Thanks Slatey, for the finch suggestion! I don't think I've ever seen a snake move so quick!

actually u might find myself and popp suggested the finch thing, although i dont know if slatey mentioned it previously.... :p

CONGRATS!! I love to see my babies all eating well specially after not eating for a bit :D

:)

Thanks guys.

Yeah, well, now that he's eaten, he's more like Nicole's little baby. Very defensive of his full tummy, and has had a couple of snaps as I passed the enclosure! :)

Re: the finch thing - yeah, it was suggested by several people, and Slatey was the first! :lol:

sobrien : The "finch thing" is to simply feed it a zebra finch. The next step is to try stitching a wing onto a pinkie rat to introduce the taste. Then slowly decrease the feathers until the snake takes rat alone. At least, that's the theory. :roll:

I am glad for you David.
Yes David you have got that right.
I would give him another finch in 4 days and week later little mice with wink attached. Use cotton string and broken part of wing have to be tight to the head. tight it tightly, as some times they trying to peel wing of.
If you find out that snake don't like the mice with wing, you can try small chicks. With all mine olives i was able to switch to frozen day old chicks after 2 Live finches.
Bob whitey is starting all his hatchlings on finches.

That's great news David. I reckon your smile would reach right round the back of your head.

2 comments:

I think what Slateman said about the cotton string may need clarification. I would think the important point is to use real cotton not a nylon or other man made fibre which may be less digestable.

The other thing I heard you say a dirty word earlier - you were going to 'TAPE' up the cable. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back