Hardcore Herping, sleepless nights : Episode 2

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephrurus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
After the relatively dismal haul the night before, we decided that an effort should be made to get some slightly different species. Hazzard, Maddog77 and myself jumped in my car and headed northish. Maddog77 had previously been up this way following rain and found 16 species of frogs in 4kms of road.

The in-car thermometer read 19 degrees outside temp when we arrived at 9:00. That's where it stayed til about 3:00am.

We started driving down a road and almost immediately stopped for the much needed toilet break, and to search for the Red-backed toadlet Pseudophryne coriacea we had heard calling.
Here are the red back pics.
DSCN7781.jpg

DSCN7815.jpg

The second photo shows a calling male in his nest. Just to the left of the photo are some of his eggs he's guarding. He's actually waiting for a storm to wash these eggs into the nearest stream.

Walking up the track, i stepped to one side as to avoid stepping in someones wee...... and almost stepped on a pair of Krefts Dwarf snakes Cacophis kreftii.
DSCN7785.jpg

DSCN7801.jpg

These small elapids were foraging through the leaf litter and seemed genuinely unconcerned about our precense.

Maddog77 suddenly started gesticulating wildly... He'd just heard yellow bellied gliders (threatened species number 1 for the night).

We drove a bit furthur along the road and stopped to find some Tusked Frogs Adelotis brevis.

Pretty little frogs with a heavily patterned belly.

DSCN7826.jpg

DSCN7831.jpg

There was also a striped marsh frog hopping about Limnodynastes peroni. Nice to see them in the bush, not the backyard.

DSCN7833.jpg

We'd passed a stream before finding the tusked frogs, so we walked back up to check the stream. We heard a strange call, so jumped down to check it out. after a bit of triangulation we found that the frog calling was a large Mixophyse. Having not seen any myself, I initially thought this was the great barred frog Mixophyse fasciolatus.
DSCN7846.jpg

DSCN7880.jpg

It was not until we started taking a few photos did we notice the blue area on the eye(pictured on another specimen we found). This identifies it as Mixophyse balbus, the southern barred frog.
DSCN7895.jpg

DSCN7850.jpg

DSCN7852.jpg

I'd written off the chance of finding balbus as they are so impossibly rare in the Sydney region (extinct I believe in the Sydney basin) that the chance of finding one didn't enter my mind. (This is threatened species number 2 for the night).

Furthur along the track we found some more barred frogs this time Mixophyse fasciolatus. These are a much prettier, coppery coloured frog. Their call is much different as well.

DSCN7886.jpg

DSCN7891.jpg

DSCN7896.jpg

Driving furthur along we spotlighted the 3rd threatened species for the night. Maddog77, whilst leaning out the top of the sunroof of my car, spotted a young spotted tailed quoll. A fantastic sighting.

We walked to a stream furthur on down the track and found a Litoria wilcoxi and a Litoria phyllachroa.
DSCN7824.jpg

DSCN7901.jpg

DSCN7902.jpg

By this time it was either very early or very late. We decided to head for home. Maddog77 wanted to continue driving the park roads, but he was vetoed as he actually is mad.

Here is what i saw as i neared by house.
DSCN7916.jpg

The sun rising through the mist!

All the best

DSCN7912.jpg

-H

wow they are great photos of the Cacophis krefftii, I love the face markings!

It was interesting to read about the male Pseudophryne coriacea that guards the eggs while waiting for the rain. Learn something new every day :)

I can't wait for Episode 3!

I get 2-3 photos each time I refresh, so it takes me a long time to download these posts! It is always worth it!!! Awsome photos as always :)

great photos as always and absolutely fine speciemans...just not sure about the last photo :)

dude you kicked ***,i never seen quolls or yellow bellied gliders

or a balbus damn you must take me herping

ive got redbacked toadlets near my house though

great find guys. seen them all but its always great when you gou out and see something rare. did you actually sopt the yellow bellied gliders. quoll. thats pretty hectic.
looking forward to part 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and so on.
cheers
matt

Nice one Henry, pics are getting better and better....

Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back