Hardcore Herping, sleepless nights: Episode 3

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephrurus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

A rather belated installment as this nights herping was next night after "Episode 2". I've been out in the field (pics to come) so I've not been able to put them up. All the same, here they are.

Maddog77 and I decided to head somewhere slightly more local than the previous night, so North West Sydney was chosen as it had good records of a few species i wanted to photograph.

It wasn't terribly warm when we left, but pressed on regardless. As the sun went down the wind picked up and the temp dropped, so I wasn't holding much hope.

Driving towards the spot I noticed a shape on the road that was particularly un-stick-like. I jumped on the brakes to find this beautiful specimen.
Marramarra014.jpg

Marramarra011.jpg

A nice bandy bandy on the road meant that the night wasn't a total waste. With expectations lifted we continued along the road towards the walking track.

Not far along the trail we found a few thick tail geckos Underwoodisaurus milli.

Marramarra031.jpg

Marramarra037.jpg

Marramarra041.jpg

Stone geckos Diplodactylus vittatus were also about. Much trickier to photograph. They never stay still long enough. I think i need a camera with a faster shutter response time.

Marramarra090.jpg

As we rounded a corner I saw one of the target species I've been after for a fair while this season.
Although I've caught them before, I've never taken photos of one...
This Giant Burrowing Frog Helieoporus australiacus was very cooperative. It turned out to be an adult female. Apparently not often seen (also a threatened species).
Marramarra058.jpg

Marramarra057.jpg

Marramarra056.jpg

Another spectacular threatened species is the Red Crowned Toadlet Pseudophryne australis . We found this male calling from a trackside ditch.

Marramarra076.jpg

We did find a Litoria phyllachroa calling, but i neglected to take photos of it.

That concludes the "Hardcore herping, sleepless nights" series. I calculated i got about 10hours sleep in those 3 days.

All the best!

-H

All the best!

You must be young, I can't do without sleep like that any more.
Nice reports thanks Neph, that red-crowned is stunning.
All I ever seem to see is green and brown frogs.

nice pics and finds. well now youve made my day...im jealous but none the less congrats.
cheers and thanks for sharing
matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back