Hatchie Stimson's python checklist

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles101

Reaction score
This is my checklist for my hatchling Stimson's python, I've decided now that I'll go with a heat mat as I've got one for my thick-tailed gecko enclosure and I've never ever had a problem with it.

7L Sistema tub
Extra Small Exo Terra Heat Mat
Microclimate B1 Dimming Thermostat
2 Exo Terra Digital Thermometers
2 Small Hides
Water Bowl
Paper Towel

If I need anything else or get rid of anything please tell me :)

I'm sure it was just an oversight, but you've missed food for the hatchling. ;)

Otherwise good job on the list, it'll certainly make putting things together much easier. If it's a hatchling from this season, the 7L might be a little too large, for its age. However, please note that I have not kept Antaresia and thus cannot say for certain if the tub is too large, another persons opinion on this would be appreciated. Although with two hides, the hatchling will probably feel quite secure and you might not even need a smaller tub.

Oh yes forget the most important thing food! ;) I'm able to purchase (hopefully) a hatchie in around April time :).

I'm going to put the heat mat on a tile, and then use the little lifters that come with the Exo Terra Heat mats and raise the tub so it's not directly on the heat mat (it's 4watts) so the heat mat has enough ventilation and so excess heat can escape. Is this okay? :)

I'm setting the microclimate B1 Dimming Thermostat to 33 degrees, this is the correct temperature right? :D

Last edited:
Allowing the heat mat to have ventilation is a good idea, I have never personally used them, and cannot attest to how hot they get. Reading through some threads, particular heat mats do have issues with failing, I haven't seen anything bad in regards to the Exo Terra's, although with a 4watt mat I'm not even sure that'd get hot enough to do damage. In saying that, it doesn't mean it can't - I'm sure given the right circumstances they could. Regardless, having a thermostat will prevent any issues should the mat fail, however unlikely.

You're getting one in April? That explains why you didn't list food, not sure how long frozen rodents keep, ours don't last longer than two months before being fed. All the best with getting the one you want, and well done on preparing this far ahead. Some locales of Stimson's pythons look amazing, do you know which one you want yet?

Honestly, I'm not sure what Antaresia require in terms of the temperature department, however looking at various care sheets I see 28-35 degrees celsius quoted often for the hot end of the enclosure. Given that temperature range, 33 degrees celsius sounds fairly decent.

As I do not have experience with Antaresia, or with heat mats, multiple opinions on the matter would benefit Reptiles101, so if anyone can offer further, and more experienced advice, please do so. :)

Personally I would go with the 5l sistema over the 7l. Put 1/3 of the click clack over the heat mat and 2/3 not. I set my temps at 33 and achieve 33-35 hot end 25-26 cold end. I use 1 hide for hot end and just have a water bowl down cool end. One thing to consider is a small vine. I have one in mine over the cool end which my guy curls up under. Always remember more paper towel rather then less. They love to burrow in between the layers. I have my holes down the hot end drilled in the side and cool end in the lid. Make sure you remove and sharp filings left from drilling or heating to make your holes. Take a good look at all the locales and you may find one you prefer the most. Personally I think the wheatbelts are the nicest.

Thanks heaps guys :).

My local pet store has heaps of those Exo Terra vines so I'll add that to the list as well, thanks for that Kai92 :D.

It's a Weatbelt Stimson's python :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back