Hatchling Enc Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sebii

Not so new Member
Reaction score
We covered most of this in the chat room last night but there was one thing I missed. What I have so far:

For a hatchling DImaond or CC Python you get a critter cage roughly 20cm x 30cm and place a heat mat under half of it with insulation between it and the cage. You put the hide in the middle and the water at the cold end. The temperature should be kept at around 29C at the hot end for the guy.

Now here's where I'm lost, the guy in the store said you should also have a heat lamp at the hot end to trap in the heat. How do you fit a heat lamp to a critter cage? Do I need a cage? Is a heat lamp really necessary? Can I just use the mat and a fluorescent light?

Thanks!

Hi Sebi, if a Carpet I would go for a little warmer, say 31-32 in the hot end...and make sure your diamond doesn't get heat at night, and give the carpet a lower night time temp. I don't believe you need a lamp at all, the heat mat will give plenty of warmth.

JMO. :D

Lighting isnt necessary,Enough light should be emitted from a nearby window but your snakes will benefit from a little natural sunshine if you take them outside for a handle now and then. For a diamond I recommend 25 degrees with no heating at night (try a 24hr timer on the thermostat.$10 from hardware store)

If for a coastal carpet id recommend 32 degrees continuously for its first year or 2, (There is no need to cool juveniles)

Edit: IMO Many day time ambient temps are above 25 degrees
(warmer months like summer etc here in syd)
This is just what I would set the thermostat to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back