Hatchlings V's Yearlings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OzDAZ

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Is there a practice of pricing hatchlings cheaper than say a yearling or a python 12-18 months old.
I understand that a breeding age python or proven breeder should fetch a price higher than a hatchling, but what about the few years in between.
assuming the snake is a good specimen does the fact that its been feed and nurtured maybe even vetted for 12-18 months of its life, give the snake a higher market value because you have successfully got the snake to that point, know it temperament, has records ETC.
It could well be that some sellers add some level of tariff for snakes around that age. :?: :?: :?: Any views on that one.

I just looked over to my 14m old costal as I was typing to get an idea if I would consider her more valuable now than when I got her.
I didn?t get far as I looked I seen family got a mental block on my original line of thought and all I could think is priceless, family doesn?t have a dollar value.
God forbid if I had to get rid of her, it would worry me more where and who, she went to than the amount of money I could get.

But I digress,Hatchlings same dollar value as Yearlings or 12-18 month olds :?: :?:
The thought came to mind when Strech mentioned that she had seen Bredl at HerpSwap for 450$ (not that im sure they were hachlings) and Id seen them at 650$ for a yearling.

OZ :roll:

Yes, as a general rule, yearlings would go for more than hatchlings. There are a few reasons. First, the seller has invested much more into a yearling. Time, cost of housing, cost of feeding, etc. Just think of all the money you have spent on your 14 month old snake.

The second reason is that you are paying for some peace of mind, so to speak. The snake has passed a critical developmental stage. You can just look at the snake, and see if it has been eating well. You can be much more confident that it doesn't have serious birth defects and the like. basically, you are dealing with knowns (and hopefully good records), instead of unknowns, and uncertainties.

I know I would certainly charge more for a snake that I had raised for year or more, than one that had just hatched.

You seem to have answered your own question.
The average price I have seen for bredli hatchlings is $300.
As for people who try to sell yearlings for $650..I suggest you give them a call.....I'll bet they still have the snake.
Of course yearlings should be more.They are on an established feeding regimine and have shown what temperment they possess.
But double the price...I don't think so Tim.

Yearling snakes only have a small mark up compared to lizards. Hatchling beardies will go for $30 or so, Adults (yearlings) for up to $100. It's partly coz of the cost of keeping them for a year but also coz of the risk of them having problems is greatly diminished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back