Hatchy tail caught in click clack

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SunnyCoastMorelia

Reaction score
Recently got a hatchling jungle, she is around 45cm long and today when I was putting her back in after cleaning her sistema click clack, her tail got caught, I realised right away and took the lid off, and there are no visible signs of damage. Is there anything I should do or look out for? worried there will be permanent damage :(

I would keep an eye on it, make sure she's gripping onto whatever you have as a perch.

I think if you did any Heavy damage you would have known, by it thrashing around in pain while stuck

Sounds terrible, but accidentally chopping off the last few cms of a snakes tail isn't the worst thing you can do. I've known of several snakes who've happily lived after loosing most of/all of their tail.
Obviously keep an eye out for any breaks in the skin or kinking, but at its worst, a damaged tail is hardly a life threatening occurrence in most cases.

I've heard of a snake who had lost their tail right up to the vent (large BHP). Not sure on specifics other than this snake was seized from a bad situation with the tail already healed over. Snake was male, and worst outcome for him was that he was essentially castrated :/

Might be more of an issue on an arboreal snake who depends more on their tails, but most (particularly younger animals) will take to change much more easily.

That all being said- your snake is most likely fine! Probably just a sore tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back