Having trouble creating logbook online

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So ....... Does that mean you are no longer allowed to keep reptiles unless you have a computer ?
I couldn't give a rats bum if the Authorities don't have the funds or get funding cut every year. If they want us to play the game , then they should cater for everyone , especially those who don't have Internet access or IPhones or laptops or IPads or computers.

So there you go - why sound so hostile? Of course it doesn't mean you can't keep reptiles if you don't have a computer. Why don't you do what I did and send them a (reasonable) email. Where has it been said that you have to have a computer? Although clearly you do or you wouldn't be on this site. I have never been an advocate for wildlife bureaucracies anywhere, but if you took the time to approach them directly rather than getting all hot & bothered here, you might find they have a simple solution to your massive problem. However, if you have an email address which the Department has used to contact you with reminders or sending a PDF of your licence when you renew, it's reasonable in my opinion for them to expect you to use the electronic records system, given the massive non-lodgement of paper returns they encounter every year.

Are you an advocate for people who don't have computers (in which case I think you should leave those people to sort it out with the department), or are you philosophically opposed to an online system for other reasons? You sound like a bad-tempered child.

Jamie

So there you go - why sound so hostile? Of course it doesn't mean you can't keep reptiles if you don't have a computer. Why don't you do what I did and send them a (reasonable) email. Where has it been said that you have to have a computer? Although clearly you do or you wouldn't be on this site. I have never been an advocate for wildlife bureaucracies anywhere, but if you took the time to approach them directly rather than getting all hot & bothered here, you might find they have a simple solution to your massive problem. However, if you have an email address which the Department has used to contact you with reminders or sending a PDF of your licence when you renew, it's reasonable in my opinion for them to expect you to use the electronic records system, given the massive non-lodgement of paper returns they encounter every year.

Are you an advocate for people who don't have computers (in which case I think you should leave those people to sort it out with the department), or are you philosophically opposed to an online system for other reasons? You sound like a bad-tempered child.

Jamie

I don't think he's being hostile at all, though some of the responses to his post are (hostile).

Really, I think we are having this switch over to compulsory online record keeping because most perhaps all the staff in the department who runs licencing of keepers are 20 and 30 something know nothings who think everyone has a computer, everyone has a smart phone , everyone has a smart TV and everyone has access to ADSL2+ or the NBN and every reptile keeper wants to record their reptiles online.

?

Jamie

Gee ...... Sounds like you woke up on the wrong side of common sense today mate.
We are not all computer geeks like you who probably receive "alerts" on your phone when you get a message on one of your social media sites.
What is wrong with speaking up on behalf of those who done have access to the Internet ?
Of course I have a computer , but it doesn't mean I get on it every hour like some.
I wasn't hot and bothered till I read your stupid comments. Just goes to show you that words typed don't have emotions ..... it's those who read them , that read their own thoughts into it.
Grow a brain mate or shut up.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think he's being hostile at all, though some of the responses to his post are (hostile).

Really, I think we are having this switch over to compulsory online record keeping because most perhaps all the staff in the department who runs licencing of keepers are 20 and 30 something know nothings who think everyone has a computer, everyone has a smart phone , everyone has a smart TV and everyone has access to ADSL2+ or the NBN and every reptile keeper wants to record their reptiles online.

Thanks mate ...... Glad someone sees it my way.
i am 58 ......and hate computers

Gee ...... Sounds like you woke up on the wrong side of common sense today mate.
We are not all computer geeks like you who probably receive "alerts" on your phone when you get a message on one of your social media sites.
What is wrong with speaking up on behalf of those who done have access to the Internet ?
Of course I have a computer , but it doesn't mean I get on it every hour like some.
I wasn't hot and bothered till I read your stupid comments. Just goes to show you that words typed don't have emotions ..... it's those who read them , that read their own thoughts into it.
Grow a brain mate or shut up.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks mate ...... Glad someone sees it my way.
i am 58 ......and hate computers

I'm pretty sure there are LOTS of keepers who see it your way. Just because they are not posting about this issue here if they are fellow members of this board doesn't mean we're are in the minority on this.

Really - what's the hassle in sending out a paper log book once a year , or even a few record sheets (I only need ONE sheet now and never needed more than two sheets) once a year OR ON REQUEST.
Heck the log books probably cost only a few cents each to produce , and what the hell are we paying our licence fees for if we can't even get a basic paper annual record book off the department if we prefer to stay on a paper system ?

Last edited:
Nope. Quite happy today and had a very nice weekend. Far from being a geek, I have an 8 year old Samsung dumb phone, and my desktop computer (all I have), is six years old. But I do my motor vehicle licences online and all the other things that many people do online as well because it's quick and easy. I don't need to be online every half hour to add a reptile transaction to my record, or to submit my annual return to the Department - I only actually have to do that once a year.

I'll check with the department myself tomorrow whether the ebook is compulsory since that seems to me to be an assumption of yours. I'd be very surprised if that was the case, since all government departments that I have dealings with offer the option of hard-copy transactions. If you can't navigate your way around a simple task like the ebook matey, then this 68 year old tech moron is way ahead of you.

Oh yes, and I only have 3G wireless broadband out here in the sticks...

Jamie

Honestly, we don't even have the choice to do our log books online! We must however, print out the forms (they no longer send them out and I don't have a printer), fill them out and then post them in. Which essentially means, going to the local library to print out the forms (can't do this on weekdays as my work and commute take up all business hours), filling them out and then walking to the post office in the city to post them on my lunch break.

It doesn't sound like a major hassle, but doing it online would be so much easier, even if you hate the internet!

I really hope Victoria adopts an online system....

We used to have an online return form. No idea why they stopped using it. Being the "Department of Environment and Primary Industries" you'd think going paperless would be a priority.

Last edited:
SA still posts out the forms once a year. Online would be far easier, IMO.
There are some changes coming, so perhaps that might be one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back