Heat Cord / Mat On Glass

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MzJen

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.!
Have a new 'reptile one' 90Lx60x60 melamine enclosure that has a smallish glass panel on the base specifically designed for floor heating.
Just curious as to which heat source to get...
heat mat (wattage??) or heat cord (wattage??) will I need to create a 'tile'?
Currently have an infrared overhead heat light till I can work out what to get :D
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Should have mentioned that this is housing an adult female Stimson

Last edited:
I've just re-done my gecko tank. I went from a heat mat controlled by a thermostat to a heat cable. The cable seems to work much better for me.

Heat cord controlled with a thermostat (under a tile) works so much better for me than a heat Matt
I also offer basking light for during the day
But at night they just get a bit of belly heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks :) just trying to get a good heat gradient and thinking it will be better achieved using the heat cord under the glass floor panel :)

Did you decide on wattage yet? What do others recommend? Anyone have any experiences on their heat cord getting too hot? How hot can they get without a thermostat?

had a secondary heat source when i paired my carpets up a cord under a thin ceramic tile never got above 33c was a 2 meter cord not sure of wattage but the wattage is gauged by cable length anyway.

Thinking it should be a 25 watt cord but unsure if this is safe to lay directly under the in-built glass panel or if I would need to create a tile with it

Thinking i will put a tile underneath to reduce heat transfer to the cabinet it sits on so I'll see how it all goes, now to find a cable :)

The temperature achieved will depend upon the ambient temperature where the cage is kept.

It can get quite cold in the house as its all open plan and tiles. Last night the ambient temp was around 15 degrees

So I've gotten an 8 watt heat mat that is specifically designed to stick to a glass panel.
Rather than sticking it directly to the glass pane, could I stick it to a ceramic tile instead ?

So I've gotten an 8 watt heat mat that is specifically designed to stick to a glass panel.
Rather than sticking it directly to the glass pane, could I stick it to a ceramic tile instead ?

try no tile 1st and see how u go temp wise, the mat should have come with rubber feet make sure you use them as it provides the mat ventilation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back