Heat cord

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles4me

Reaction score
Hey I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with heat cords? I want to use a ow wattage cord for my geckos but just wasn't sure if there is certain things I should be worried about. P.S I had a look through the forums and found a few good ones on this topic but they were a few years old.

everyone seems to be going with heat chords rather than heat mats these days. I have no experience with them so I can't help....sorry!

So far I've only had one fail, and I was quite happy in that it just stopped working, I think they're built to do that, so no risk of overheating. I'm currently using one 80w cord on a thermostat (Was using a 25watt cord, but that was the one that died) for my stimson's yearling, Darwin yearling and marbled velvet gecko (all in different tanks, obviously:p). Works a treat, love them. I'm in the process of changing all the tanks over to cords, it's just finding the time at the moment.

Been using them for about 2 1/2 years now with no issues
Just get the right wattage cord for the right application, no point using a 80w cord for a gecko tank.
I use 15 or 25w cords in single enclosures with a thermostat
and use the 75/80 watt cords for my racks.

I'm not used to using heat cords so what would be the right wattage for a gecko enclosure that's 30x30x32? I only want to use heat cords because 1 of my 3 geckos isn't getting enough heat.

I use a 25w in a 900x600x500 melamine enclosure for my stimmie under a tile ( see various threads on this) but this provides mainly belly heat not sure what geckos require. There is a good thread in DIY section on using core flute and heat cord as a radiator, this style may be better suited. Any how couldn't see you needing any more than 15w in such a small enclosure.

Ok thanks. By the way the gecko that needs it is a yearling marbled velvet gecko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back