Heat Mat - Question...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RichB

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi

Under a 10L click clack, for a Bredl hatchie, I have a 15x28cm heat mat that is 7w and it covers 1/3 of the click clack.

I can't get the warm end any warmer than 27.7 degrees. I need it to be (as advised) between 28-32?

This is probably a stupid question; but does a higher wattage get a mat to higher temperatures or does it simply allow a bigger mat to get to the same tempertaure as a smaller mat? So in other words shall I get a higher wattage mat (which i presume would have to bigger) to acheive higher temps in the warm end??

cheers
Rich

yes higher wattage heat matts will heat up more the major problem though with heat mats is if they get too hot they can melt a click clack I would stay with what you have if you were to up the wattage i would be putting a peice pf mdf between the click clack and the heat mat. Personally I hate heat mats :p

If you're worried about it getting too hot, just buy a heat mat with it's own thermostat. You put the thermostat on top of the pad but below the click clack. I use them to great effect.

You should have a thermostat which you can transfer to the adult cage in the future. A 7 watt matt is too small particularly in winter. It will only raise the temperature about 5 degrees above ambient temperature. Your could put a ceramic tile on the heatmat to act as a heatbank which will even out the heat fluctuations.About the only good thing about a click clack is the price, but you get what you pay for. The temperature of clickclacks changes with every breath of wind as they have no thermal mass. A timber cage is far better.

I use a 7watt (15cmx18cm) heat mat, it easily hits 33 degrees on my 7litre sistema click clack with a 1.5cm gap for airflow (heat mat came with those nodules to put under clickclack). If i put it straight on my clickclack with no gap for airflow it hits 42 degrees pretty fast.

I put my clickclack on top of my old metal computer tower so it might be a better conductor of heat.

But for a small click clack, 7 watts should be fine. If not go for those green covered heat mats and pop the clickclack straight on it, it wont burn the plastic.

And yes get a thermostat, 100 bucks but saves you time and electricity

Get yourself a larger heat mat and grab a thermostat while your at it, best investment you`ll ever make :)

Get yourself a larger heat mat and grab a thermostat while your at it, best investment you`ll ever make :)

Thanks all for your advice.

Geck82 - I have been and bought a bigger heatmat with higher wattage (I already had a thermostat in readiness for a bigger enclosure later) and I can now get the temperatures upto and just above 30 and have thermostat to regualte - all good! Thanks!!

*Although the 7w was the right size (dimensions) it just wasn't having enough of an effect.

I use a 7watt (15cmx18cm) heat mat, it easily hits 33 degrees on my 7litre sistema click clack with a 1.5cm gap for airflow (heat mat came with those nodules to put under clickclack). If i put it straight on my clickclack with no gap for airflow it hits 42 degrees pretty fast.

I put my clickclack on top of my old metal computer tower so it might be a better conductor of heat.

But for a small click clack, 7 watts should be fine. If not go for those green covered heat mats and pop the clickclack straight on it, it wont burn the plastic.

And yes get a thermostat, 100 bucks but saves you time and electricity

I am amazed that a 7 watt heat mat achieves 42C in the clickclack. I can only assume the ambient temperature must have been particularly high at the time.

I myself have a Bredli in a 7lt Sistema click clack and it sits directly on a 16"x12" 21watt Microclimate heatmat, I also use a thermostat and it sits on 32c all day, during our recent heat wave temps sat on 34c, so I recomend you get a better heatnat or higher wattage!!

I myself have a Bredli in a 7lt Sistema click clack and it sits directly on a 16"x12" 21watt Microclimate heatmat, I also use a thermostat and it sits on 32c all day, during our recent heat wave temps sat on 34c, so I recomend you get a better heatnat or higher wattage!!

Bax, I now have a 20w mat which is acheiving much better temps betweem 30 - 32.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back